What is the acceleration of the bat?

In summary, the bat exerts a force of 1.0x10^4 N on the baseball over 0.0010 seconds. The bat then reduces the force to 0.0 N over the same amount of time. The baseball's Final velocity is 25 m/s.
ek688
The force exerted on a 0.145-kg baseball by a bat changes from 0.0 N to 1.0x10^4 (^4= 4th power) over 0.0010 seconds, then drops back to zero in the same amount of time. The baseball was going toward the bat at 25 m/s.

A) Draw a graph of force versus Time. What is the average force exerted on the ball by the bat?
B) What is the acceleration of the bat?
C) What is the Final velocity of the ball, assuming that it reverses direction?please tell me how to do and the answer
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

well since the first question asks about the average force i used the formula F=MA to figure out the force and i got for the force 3625N (not sure if its right) i got this by caluclating the acceleration using A=v-v0/ t which gave me A=25000 since V=25 and V0=0, however this is just for the first half i need to do this again except for the backwards part to figure out the average

The first questions asks the average force. They give you the maximum force. It's [tex] 1 * 10^4[/tex]
Average force should be intuitive. The force starts at 0, rises to maximum, then returns to zero.

Hint: What's the average of these numbers {0,1,2,3,4} and what's the average of these numbers {4,3,2,1,0}
I'd do it the same way.

would that mean the avg force is 12,500?

if u use the gradient formula ...

[tex]
m = \frac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2 - x_1}
[/tex]

then the average will be ...

ek688 said:
would that mean the avg force is 12,500?
no, using the numbers I gave as an example:
Hint: What's the average of these numbers {0,1,2,3,4} and what's the average of these numbers {4,3,2,1,0}
the average of 0,1,2,3,4 is 2 because 0+1+2+3+4 = 10 and there's 5 members and 10/5 = 2
notice that 2 is exactly half of your highest value.
You could use the formula [tex]average = \frac{|initial - final|}{2}[/tex] which would also give you 2.

In your problem, the highest value is 1 * 10^4 N.

can someone work out the problem and tell me what you get. I got answers but i would like to make sure they are right, and i don't have the data with me i left it at a friends house.
Thanks

Eric..ur a bad bot

eric this was supposed to be an extra credit assignment.. i am very dissapointed in you. you will be suspended immidietly on monday.

with love Dr. Lubert

very funny Jeff, sorry guys that's my dumb friend Jeff

Eric what happened

eric i was watching u in tefillah and i was very disappointed that you were not davaning properly u will be suspended on monday

with love: that guy

NO! I am terribly sorry, i did not mean to offend That Guy!
I will daven better in tefilah
yayayyayayaay

What is the acceleration of the bat?

The acceleration of the bat refers to how quickly the bat's velocity changes over time. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What factors affect the acceleration of the bat?

The acceleration of the bat can be affected by several factors such as the force applied by the batter, the weight and mass of the bat, and the type of material the bat is made of. Other factors include the angle at which the bat strikes the ball and the resistance of the air.

How is the acceleration of the bat calculated?

The acceleration of the bat can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes for the velocity to change. This formula is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

What is considered a "good" acceleration for a bat?

The average acceleration of a bat is around 10-15 m/s². However, what is considered a "good" acceleration can vary depending on factors such as player skill and the level of competition. Generally, a higher acceleration would result in a more powerful hit.

How does the acceleration of the bat affect the game?

The acceleration of the bat plays a crucial role in the game of baseball or softball. A higher acceleration can result in a more powerful hit, giving the batter a better chance of getting a hit or even hitting a home run. It also affects the trajectory and distance of the ball, making it more difficult for the fielders to catch. On the other hand, a lower acceleration may result in a weaker hit or a pop fly, making it easier for the fielders to make an out.