Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the acceleration ?

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Hi

We all know that Force = Mass * Acceleration

The problem to me is that what should be the acceleration when a object is pushed by hand pressure ?

Thanks
    Zirok

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ideally, that would be
    (Applied force) / mass
    wouldn't it?

Non-ideally (a.k.a. realistically) there are things such as friction which you need to take into account.

(PS I noticed that the word "pressure" in your message was underlined... note that you are using it in a colloquial sense here, as opposed to the scientific meaning of pressure)

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

A slider ( weighing 1 to 1.5 kg ) slides into a box type opening against a spring. The slider is pushed upto 10 mm only against the spring by hand feed.

Now, i am concerned for the Force harnessed by the mechanism for a distance of 1 mm.
    As Force = Mass * Acceleration ( & we need to calculate acceleration to calculate the force )

After calculating the Force for 1 mm, i will multiply the force by 10mm(the stroke) so i will be able to calculate the correct force exerted on the spring.

Zirok

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook