What is the Acceleration of an Object Pushed by Hand Pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force and acceleration when an object is pushed by hand pressure. The formula for force is mentioned, but it is noted that other factors such as friction must also be taken into account. The discussion also mentions a specific scenario involving a slider and a spring, and the need to calculate force over a certain distance.
Zirok
Hi

We all know that Force = Mass * Acceleration

The problem to me is that what should be the acceleration when a object is pushed by hand pressure ?

Thanks
Zirok

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ideally, that would be
(Applied force) / mass
wouldn't it?

Non-ideally (a.k.a. realistically) there are things such as friction which you need to take into account.

(PS I noticed that the word "pressure" in your message was underlined... note that you are using it in a colloquial sense here, as opposed to the scientific meaning of pressure)

Hi

Thanks for the reply

A slider ( weighing 1 to 1.5 kg ) slides into a box type opening against a spring. The slider is pushed upto 10 mm only against the spring by hand feed.

Now, i am concerned for the Force harnessed by the mechanism for a distance of 1 mm.
As Force = Mass * Acceleration ( & we need to calculate acceleration to calculate the force )

After calculating the Force for 1 mm, i will multiply the force by 10mm(the stroke) so i will be able to calculate the correct force exerted on the spring.

Zirok

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed or direction changes.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented in the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly that speed or direction changes. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of position, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). In the United States Customary Units, it is measured in feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's speed or change its direction. If an object has a positive acceleration, it is speeding up. If it has a negative acceleration, it is slowing down. Acceleration also plays a role in circular motion, as it determines the object's change in direction.