1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the acceleration ?

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Hi

We all know that Force = Mass * Acceleration

The problem to me is that what should be the acceleration when a object is pushed by hand pressure ?

Thanks
    Zirok

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ideally, that would be
    (Applied force) / mass
    wouldn't it?

Non-ideally (a.k.a. realistically) there are things such as friction which you need to take into account.

(PS I noticed that the word "pressure" in your message was underlined... note that you are using it in a colloquial sense here, as opposed to the scientific meaning of pressure)

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

A slider ( weighing 1 to 1.5 kg ) slides into a box type opening against a spring. The slider is pushed upto 10 mm only against the spring by hand feed.

Now, i am concerned for the Force harnessed by the mechanism for a distance of 1 mm.
    As Force = Mass * Acceleration ( & we need to calculate acceleration to calculate the force )

After calculating the Force for 1 mm, i will multiply the force by 10mm(the stroke) so i will be able to calculate the correct force exerted on the spring.

Zirok

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook