1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the actual equation of e=mc^2?

1. Nov 2, 2003 #1
    what is the actual equation of e=mc^2? this is only the simplified equation, and i have forgotten the actual one already...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You probably mean

E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

- Warren

4. Nov 2, 2003 #3
    what does the P stand for? and is that equation homogenous?

5. Nov 2, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a lowercase p, and it stands for (linear) momentum. I don't know what you mean by "homogenous."

- Warren

6. Nov 3, 2003 #5
    It all depends on whether you are a massist or an energist.

------

A massist is willing to attribute mass values to anything, in any state of motion. For a massist, this m is really m0, a mass attributed to something in its rest frame of reference. For a massist

E2 = p2c2 + m02c4
    p = mv

are always true in any inertial frame. For light quanta,

E = pc
    p = mc

, because m0 = 0 for light quanta. But m = p/c = E/c2, a mass value dependent upon total energy of a quantum.
    So E = mc2 is true for a light quantum as well as a particle with a non-zero rest mass.

------

An energist is willing to attribute energy values to anything, in any state of motion. For an energist, m can only be attributed to something in its rest frame, so the subscript 0 is never needed. For an energist,

p2 = E2/c2 - m2c2

is always true in any inertial frame. The energy E must come from other physics. For light quanta, p = E/c is a given, so

p2 = p2 - m2c2

, so

m2c2 = 0

. Since c > 0,

m = 0 for a light quantum.
    So, E = mc2/(1 - v2/c2)1/2 only in the case of a particle with non-zero rest mass.

------

Most modern day physicists, especially high-energy physicists, tend to be energists rather than massists.

7. Nov 4, 2003 #6
    I said:

So, E = mc2/(1 - v2/c2)1/2 only in the case of a particle with non-zero rest mass.

I should have said:

So, E = mc2/(1 - v2/c2)1/2 only in the case of a particle with non-zero mass.

8. Nov 4, 2003 #7

pmb

Re: e=mc^2

The equation E = mc2 is the mass-energy equation relating the mass m of a particle to the free-particle energy E. The proof can be found here

www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/mass_energy_equiv.htm

If the particle is a tardyon (i.e. a particle which travels at speeds less than light) then

m = m0/sqrt[1-(v/c)2]

Multiply both sides by c2

mc2 = m0c2/sqrt[1-(v/c)2]

Substitute in E = mc2 to get

E = m0c2/sqrt[1-(v/c)2]

This equation can be rewritten as

E2 - (pc)2 = (m0c2)2

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?