What is the amplitude of light?

In summary, light can be described by its frequency and amplitude, with the frequency equaling to the photon energy and the amplitude representing the strength of the electric and magnetic fields. The size of the amplitude can be measured in terms of peak values, such as 400 V/m and 1.4 microTesla for an intensity of 1 kW/m2 for a planar wave. This measurement can vary depending on numerical prefactors. This approach is used to measure the amplitude of a single photon, marking the beginning of quantum holography.
Daniel Petka
Like every wave, light has a frequency and an amplitude. So far, I know that the frequency equals to the photon energy and the amplitude to the amount of photons. My question is: how big is that amplitude and does it matter?
Thanks for every reply :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
frequency of the light can can be described as hν=E, SO FREQUENCY=E/h where h is joule s constant if we knw the photon energy

Thanks, vishal giri. I asked for the amplitude, though. The frequency is clear anyway...

You can look at the strength of electric and magnetic fields. As an example, an intensity of 1 kW/m2 for a planar wave corresponds to peak values of about 400 V/m and 1.4 microTesla, give or take numerical prefactors that I forgot.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the definition of amplitude of light?

The amplitude of light is the measure of the maximum displacement of the electric or magnetic field associated with a light wave from its average value.

2. How is the amplitude of light related to its intensity?

The intensity of light is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that a higher amplitude will result in a brighter light.

3. How is the amplitude of light measured?

The amplitude of light can be measured by using a device called a spectrometer, which measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths. The amplitude can be calculated using the measured intensity values.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of light?

The amplitude of light can be affected by the distance it travels, the medium it travels through, and the energy of the light source. It can also be affected by interference and diffraction when passing through narrow openings or obstacles.

5. How does the amplitude of light impact its color?

The amplitude of light does not directly affect the color of light. However, different colors of light have different amplitudes, as well as different wavelengths and frequencies. The amplitude of light can affect the brightness and intensity of a color, which can impact how our eyes perceive it.