What is the angular velocity of the disk

In summary, the first conversation involves finding the angular velocity of a disk that is pulled by a string with a constant force, using equations for acceleration and conversion of units. The second conversation involves finding the force on a support for a hanging weight on a block, using equations for force and solving for x. Both conversations involve solving for unknown values using equations and converting units.
vworange
1. A disk of radius 2.90 cm and mass 1 kg is pulled by a string wrapped around its circumference with a constant force of 0.46 Newtons. What is the angular velocity of the disk to three decimal places after it has been turned through 0.90 of a revolution?

So I've been using:
[tex]\alpha=\tau/I[/tex]

More specifically:
[tex]\alpha=(r*F)/(.5mr^2)[/tex]

I know I'm getting the acceleration just fine. I've then been using:
[tex]\omega^2 = 2\alpha\Delta\Theta[/tex]

I know the problem is coming in here. Probably in conversion of units (rad/s^2) to (rev/s^2) or something along those lines.

2. A large uniform "butcher block" rests on two supports and has a weight hanging from its end. The block has a mass of 100 kg and a length of 2 meters. If L = 1.50 meters and the hanging weight is 157 Newtons, what is the force on the left support to the nearest Newton?

The ball hangs on the right end of the block, the first support is on the left end of the block and the second support is 1.5 meters away from the left end of the block.

I've been trying all sorts of things, including:
L = 2.0 m
d = 1.5 m
F2 = mg(L/d)
F1 = mg - F2

I'm pretty sure the answer should be negative.. but i don't have it right yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
you must totally be in the same physics class as me, homework quiz 11? ... heh, okay so i figure out how to do the last one:

(mass of the ball)(2-L)=981*(L-1) + x*L
Solve for x and that's your answer.

Yeah.. that equation isn't working for me. Why (L-1), btw? And mass of the ball.. are you dividing the N value by 9.81 or did you mean the force of the ball (in N)?

My bad, maybe i made that sound confusing...

mass of the ball is given in Newtons (157N)... using the numbers you have, i get:

(157)*(2-1.5)=981*(1.5-1)+ (1.5x)... solving for x you get -274.667. The answer they want is +275. (Just ignore the negative.)

AAAAAAAND I just figured out how to do the other problem:

So they give you the .05 (or whatever) of a revolution it turns. Convert that to radians by multiplying with 2pi.

Then you need to find your delta x, which you do by multiplying the radians you found in the above by your radians (don't forget to convert cm to m!)

By having x, you can now find what W equals, using W=F*delta x

When you found your W, set this equal to .5*(.5MR^2)ω^2 and solve for ω.

(it's going to be the positive of the two answers)

dalitwil said:
AAAAAAAND I just figured out how to do the other problem:

So they give you the .05 (or whatever) of a revolution it turns. Convert that to radians by multiplying with 2pi.

By having x, you can now find what W equals, using W=F*delta x

When you found your W, set this equal to .5*(.5MR^2)ω^2 and solve for ω.

(it's going to be the positive of the two answers)

MY MISTAKE: just noticed "Then you need to find your delta x, which you do by multiplying the radians you found in the above by your radians (don't forget to convert cm to m!)"

WHEN I SAID MULTIPLYING THE RADIANS YOU FOUND ABOVE BY YOUR RADIANS, I MEANT YOUR RADIUS.

sorry.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or spins around an axis. It is expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of rotation, while linear velocity only considers speed.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a disk?

The angular velocity of a disk is affected by the radius of the disk, the speed at which it is rotating, and any external forces acting on the disk such as friction or gravity.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the rotating object.

5. Why is angular velocity important?

Angular velocity is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of rotating objects in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is also used in designing and optimizing machinery and vehicles that rely on rotational motion.