What is the approximate quantum number of the electron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of an electron moving inside a one-dimensional box with an infinite potential. The goal is to find the approximate quantum number of the electron. The solution involves using the total energy equation and Schrodinger's equation, with the final answer being n = 4. There is also a discussion about the use of units in calculations.
jk4
[SOLVED] particle in a box

Homework Statement

An electron moves with a speed of v = [tex]10^{-4}[/tex]c inside a one-dimensional box of length 48.5nm. The potential is infinite elsewhere. What is the approximate quantum number of the electron?

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{n} = \frac{n^{2}\pi^{2}\hbar^{2}}{2mL^{2}}[/tex]
n = 1, 2, 3, . . .

[tex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve it by finding the total energy of the electron, then using the first equation I stated using the total energy as "En". Then I would try and solve for n but I get a very different number. The answer is supposed to be 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
n=4 is right. What did you get for the E corresponding v=10^(-4)c? What do you get if you put n=4 into En? BTW v<<c. You could just use (1/2)mv^2 for the energy.

Dick said:
n=4 is right. What did you get for the E corresponding v=10^(-4)c? What do you get if you put n=4 into En? BTW v<<c. You could just use (1/2)mv^2 for the energy.

yes. I got 3.969 for using [tex]E_n=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex].
Besides, [tex]E_{n} = \frac{n^{2}\pi^{2}\hbar^{2}}{2mL^{2}}[/tex] is a result from Schrodinger Equation which is non-relativistic. I am not sure if this form preserve in Dirac Equation or not.

EDIT:
ok I got it, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put units on dimensionful numbers ok. I calculate E = (0.5)(9.1095 E -31*kg)(10E-4 x c)^2 and I get 4.09E-22J. We are using the same numbers, unless you are using a different value of c??

jk4 said:
EDIT:
ok I got it, thanks for the help.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{n^{2}\pi^{2}\hbar^{2}}{2mL^{2}}[/tex]

then

[tex] n=\frac{mvL}{\pi \hbar}[/tex]

put [tex] m=9\times 10^{-31}, v=3\times 10^{4}, L=48.5\times 10^{-9} \mbox{ and } \hbar = 1.055\times 10^{-34}[/tex]

then you can get [tex]n\approx 4[/tex]

get it?

wow - this really helped - thanks!

What is the approximate quantum number of the electron?

The approximate quantum number of the electron is -1.

How is the quantum number of the electron determined?

The quantum number of the electron is determined by its energy level in an atom.

Can the quantum number of the electron change?

Yes, the quantum number of the electron can change when the electron absorbs or emits energy, causing it to move to a different energy level.

What does the quantum number of the electron tell us about the electron's properties?

The quantum number of the electron tells us about the electron's energy, orbital shape, and orientation within an atom.

Is the quantum number of the electron the same for all atoms?

No, the quantum number of the electron can vary between different atoms depending on their atomic structure and electron configuration.