Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the basis of PDEs?

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    Is there a hole in knowledge as to the origins of PDEs?

If there is a void, is Schwartz space a suitable basis?

Schwartz spaces are intermediate between general spaces and nuclear spaces.
    Infra-Schwartz spaces are intermediate between Schwartz spaces and reflexive spaces.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2
    I learned all about Schwartz space in a book called Nuclear and Conuclear Spaces, Herni Hogbe-Nlend, Chapter 1.

4. Jul 25, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what you mean by the "basis" or "origins" of PDEs. What, exactly are you looking for?

5. Jul 25, 2013 #4
    PDEs model physical systems.
    All systems are subjected to nonlinear turbulence.
    I am wondering if Schwartz space is suitable for modeling general PDEs.

6. Jul 25, 2013 #5

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I would wager the general answer is no since a Schwartz space requires a special property of a function's derivative that not all functions may have. If you're asking can you use a Schwartz space for some PDE's, the answer is yes.

7. Jul 25, 2013 #6
    Do you know if Schwartz space fits the Navier-Stokes equations?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. Jul 25, 2013 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I'm not an expert regarding PDE's or methods dealing with them, so I don't want to give you a wrong answer but I'll give a minimum answer that you probably know if you are asking these questions. I don't believe Navier-Stokes must be in a Schwartz Space unless the initial data is a Schwartz Class. So with that said if you want to look at the N-S equation via a Schwartz Class you can do so. You can probably even extract that information to gather information on global properties for initial Schwartz Class data.

9. Jul 25, 2013 #8

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I have no idea what you're trying to get at besides advertising for a book and author.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook