1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best comprehensive book on lasers

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Does anyone know what the absolute best most comprehensive book on lasers is. I am looking for a text book that is both deep graduate level and also has detailed information on laser construction for the hard core hobbyist/entry level researcher.

Just so people know I have a BS in chemical engineering with a special interest in thermodynamics and equations of state which involved physical chemistry and quantum. I also have all of the "hard" classes in undergraduate electrical engineering and am starting a masters in EE soon with an area of special interest in lasers.

I have started putting together a list of suppliers and getting quotes for various parts and pieces most notably the various gases of which Xenon is extraordinarily expensive right now.

Basically I want to get a jump start on construction of a laser body that I can experiment with different gases on and I want to design it to be beefy so that it can withstand high temperatures and pressures and handle a range of different conditions and an adjustable flat plate electrode so I can change the spacing. I was also reading about etalons and other issues and pit falls and I am not as familiar with those things so I want a comprehensive book before I start having parts made and ordering cylinders of various gases which is not cheap. I am also worried about arcing since I would prefer continuous beam lasers as opposed to pulse lasers for what I'm doing but they have to be very high power as well.

I would have a special 550 volt drop put into a building for the power company but I was reading that lasers can consume up to 200,000 volts which for continuous power would require large spacing between the electrodes as well as large transformers but that would result in low current so I am not sure how that would impact laser power.

I want to make sure I dot all my i's and cross all my t's before I start spending thousands of dollars. I am specifically looking at excimer laser blends.

The text book that I have found so far is - https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Lasers-Orazio-Svelto/dp/1441913017/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It seems to cover all the topics but does it cover them well enough to actually construct something from?

This is another text I found but seems a little more esoteric - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935702113/ref=rdr_ext_sb_ti_sims_1#reader_0935702113

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted