What is the best EE route for someone living in North Texas (DFW)?

In summary: I am not really sure. I've heard that it is really big in the technology industry and would be a good career choice.In summary, electronics may be a good option to pair with telecommunications because it is related to control systems and has many topics that would be beneficial to telecom.
Boltzman Oscillation
Good afternoon,

I will be graduating with an EE bachelors in a year. To keep this brief, next semester I will be taking courses that branch off from general Electrical Engineering. I have the options of Telecom, Electronics, Control Systems, or Power Systems. Living in the DFW area, what would be a good combination (I plan on only choosing two of these four courses)? I know that telecommunications used to be huge in the DFW but I want some more opinions! I do enjoy it all but really I would prefer the most physics/math related fields! All feedback is welcome! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Control systems is very mathematical. There is a lot of analysis of stability, random noise, optimization, Kalman filters, neural networks, etc. It is a very wide and varied field.

Likes atyy
FactChecker said:
Control systems is very mathematical. There is a lot of analysis of stability, random noise, optimization, Kalman filters, neural networks, etc. It is a very wide and varied field.
Would you pair it with any of the other options?

If I had to pick one associated subject, I would say electronics. But I am not familiar enough with those subjects to be authoritative.

Likes Klystron
FactChecker said:
If I had to pick one associated subject, I would say electronics. But I am not familiar enough with those subjects to be authoritative.
Why electronics?

Boltzman Oscillation said:
Why electronics?
Because it has a lot of study of feedback, which is central to control, and it is very closely related to the implementation of control systems. Even digital control systems are often designed in terms of continuous electronic systems.

Likes atyy
Why do you think geography should influence your coursework?

marcusl said:
Why do you think geography should influence your coursework?
Well I want to work around the DFW area because it is a good living place for a young person like me. I would consider Austin, Texas and maybe Houston or San Antonio but other than that the other cities in Texas are small. I don't want to work in the middle of nowhere

Likes atyy
Plano, Richardson and nearby areas are home to numerous telecom companies. You’ll find that communications encompasses many math-intensive (and extremely interesting) topics, including information theory, coding, statistical detection and estimation, and error correction techniques.

Likes atyy, Klystron and FactChecker
The DFW area has a lot of high-tech work opportunities. There is a lot of aerospace work there, including Lockheed Martin Aero, which is the home of the F-35.

FactChecker said:
The DFW area has a lot of high-tech work opportunities. There is a lot of aerospace work there, including Lockheed Martin Aero, which is the home of the F-35.
Yes I have heard of Lockheed Martin, in fact my college has a small room dedicated to them. Unfortunately I do not have a green card and cannot work for them.

• Informative
Likes atyy and FactChecker
marcusl said:
Plano, Richardson and nearby areas are home to numerous telecom companies. You’ll find that communications encompasses many math-intensive (and extremely interesting) topics, including information theory, coding, statistical detection and estimation, and error correction techniques.
Yes I have been considering telecommunications. Would control systems or electronics help with telecommunications? I would guess programming would but i do not want to take programming courses since I can easily learn programming at home.

One of the fields that I think will be big is robotics. That is one reason that I feel ok suggesting control laws. Those robots will need to be controlled.

Unfortunately I do not have a green card and cannot work for them.
Are they only hiring noncitizens?

Dr.D said:
Are they only hiring noncitizens?
They require you to be able to get a government ID. A government ID requires a green card, I do not have one.

FactChecker said:
One of the fields that I think will be big is robotics. That is one reason that I feel ok suggesting control laws. Those robots will need to be controlled.

Why do you think it will be big?

Yes I have been considering telecommunications. Would control systems or electronics help with telecommunications? I would guess programming would but i do not want to take programming courses since I can easily learn programming at home.
Control systems--no. Electronics--yes, if you want to design circuit boards. RF and microwave electronics is better still. But then you could do either of those for any industry. Topics that are specific to telecom are as I mentioned earlier: information theory, coding, statistical detection and estimation, error correction techniques. Although you said you wanted something mathematical (hence sophisticated), it seems that you don't really.

Why do you think it will be big?
It's the next (current?) step in automation. It will revolutionize much of the work done by humans today.

marcusl said:
Control systems--no. Electronics--yes, if you want to design circuit boards. RF and microwave electronics is better still. But then you could do either of those for any industry. Topics that are specific to telecom are as I mentioned earlier: information theory, coding, statistical detection and estimation, error correction techniques. Although you said you wanted something mathematical (hence sophisticated), it seems that you don't really.
Well I like deriving equations, integration, vector calculus, linear algebra, etc. I encounter a lot of mathematics in my electromagnetics course but not my circuit analysis courses. I'll consider what you said and I think I will take telecommunications courses since my college offers a wide variety of them.

Likes marcusl
They require you to be able to get a government ID. A government ID requires a green card, I do not have one.

Are you an international student currently studying in the US on a student visa? Because upon graduation you will need a green card or some equivalent form of ID to be able to work in the US, and I believe those already studying the US on a student visa should have an easier time getting permanent residency in the US.

If you are of undocumented status, however -- well that situation is far more complicated.

From what I understand , most graduates in STEM prefer large cities, just like yourself. But this means thete is pent up demand in smaller cities; good opportunities few will consider. You may want to consider another route and biting the bullet , working in a smaller town for a year or two and then , having gained experience and skills, moving to a bigger town.

More and more work is being done remotely, especially if you are not working on classified work.

WWGD said:
From what I understand , most graduates in STEM prefer large cities, just like yourself. But this means thete is pent up demand in smaller cities; good opportunities few will consider. You may want to consider another route and biting the bullet , working in a smaller town for a year or two and then , having gained experience and skills, moving to a bigger town.
I understand, I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

StatGuy2000 said:
Are you an international student currently studying in the US on a student visa? Because upon graduation you will need a green card or some equivalent form of ID to be able to work in the US, and I believe those already studying the US on a student visa should have an easier time getting permanent residency in the US.

If you are of undocumented status, however -- well that situation is far more complicated.
DACA, hopefully I can find work after graduation.

StatGuy2000 said:
The OP has already clarified that he does not fall under this scenario. But for the benefit of those who do (namely, foreign students studying in the US under a student visa) who might read this post, I'd like to offer some corrections. Some jobs in the US require US citizenship or permanent residency (green card) status; most do not. This is fortunate because a student visa does not provide a fast track to a green card.

If a foreigner is here in the US under a student visa, upon completion of his degree, the easiest path for him to apply to many jobs is under the OPT (Optional Practical Training) extension of his student visa. If his performance on the job is satisfactory, his employer will then sponsor him for an H1-B work visa.

Caveat: Immigration policy in the US is unstable at this moment, and these programs can be abruptly changed.

Likes CalcNerd, StatGuy2000 and FactChecker
CrysPhys said:
The OP has already clarified that he does not fall under this scenario. But for the benefit of those who do (namely, foreign students studying in the US under a student visa) who might read this post, I'd like to offer some corrections. Some jobs in the US require US citizenship or permanent residency (green card) status; most do not. This is fortunate because a student visa does not provide a fast track to a green card.

If a foreigner is here in the US under a student visa, upon completion of his degree, the easiest path for him to apply to many jobs is under the OPT (Optional Practical Training) extension of his student visa. If his performance on the job is satisfactory, his employer will then sponsor him for an H1-B work visa.

Caveat: Immigration policy in the US is unstable at this moment, and these programs can be abruptly changed.

Thank you for clarifying this. I'm not always up to speed on the intricacies of US immigration law or the process behind application for work visas, such as the H1-B work visa.

1. What is the best EE route for someone living in North Texas (DFW)?

The best EE route for someone living in North Texas (DFW) would depend on their specific needs and preferences. However, one of the most commonly recommended routes is to take the I-35E highway, which runs through the heart of Dallas and connects to other major highways that can take you to various cities in North Texas.

2. How long does the average commute take on the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW)?

The average commute time on the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW) can vary greatly depending on traffic conditions and the distance of your commute. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to complete the route.

3. Are there any toll roads on the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW)?

Yes, there are several toll roads on the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW). These include the President George Bush Turnpike, the Dallas North Tollway, and the Sam Rayburn Tollway. It is important to have a toll tag or cash on hand when using these toll roads.

4. Are there alternative routes to the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW)?

Yes, there are alternative routes to the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW). Some other options include taking the I-635 highway or using local streets and roads. It is recommended to use a GPS or navigation app to explore different routes and find the one that works best for you.

5. Is public transportation a viable option for the recommended EE route in North Texas (DFW)?

While there are public transportation options available in North Texas (DFW), they may not be the most efficient for the recommended EE route. Taking the bus or train may involve multiple transfers and longer travel times compared to driving. However, it is always worth considering public transportation as a more eco-friendly option.