Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best Sci-Fi idea that you have encountered?

1. Aug 12, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From any source, what are the most intersting ideas that you have read or seen in Sci-Fi? Of course, not to give away the plot for those who may see or read what is referenced.

I just saw one that was cool on Gattica [spelling?]. Genetically engineered piano players have 12 fingers. Music is written that can only by played as such.

One of my favorites of all time [one of my first Sci-Fi novels] was by Clark. Here I first encountered the notion of violating causality. I had never really considered such an idea. For those who have read this, I refer to the invaders who looked just like Satan; unltimately associated with the end of the world. This is why we have always had the Satanic image in folklore.

Of course, some of you may recognize a certain tourist planet that was eroding away due to the excessive amount of mass being removed by visitors. It is therefore required that you excrete as much as you eat - you get a receipt from the toilet - or the difference is surgically removed before you can leave for home.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2003 #2
    Demolition Man, when John Sparton Crashes the police car and it immediately fills with foam that then solidifies to stop him/the occupants of the car from being injured.
  4. Aug 12, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

The "Monsters from the ID" on (dramatic sting) FORBIDDEN PLANET
  5. Aug 13, 2003 #4
    Childhood's end :smile:
    one of my first novels too

I liked the idea of the frictionless machines and anentropic devices in Dune - Heretics and Chapter House....they are just mentioned but I think the ideea is really cool

and the RingWorld (Larry Nieven) - a giant metal strip around a G2 sun
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  6. Aug 13, 2003 #5

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Re: Re: What is the best Sci-Fi idea that you have encountered?

I actually borrowed the taped reading of this book from a library and listened to it on a long drive. Really strange book in many ways...i have such distinct memories of that road trip because of that book.

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson has some really great stuff in it (real possible stuff too) (Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars)

Included are : Space elevator and a Solleto?: A giant reflecting lense in space to direct more sunlight onto Mars' surface.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: Infinite Improbability drive.

Snow Crash : Skateboards which have thousands of little teloscopic tubes instead of wheels. The tubes are spread evenly around an axle, and sensors detect the road surface up ahead and calculate exactly how long to make each rod for a perfeectly smooth ride. These skateboards were used in conjunction with a magnetic anchored rope thing, which you launch at motored vehicles. Couriers used thes skateboards and ropes by attaching to a car and launching themselves forward onto another car up further ahead, and so on, shooting through the traffic much faster than anything else. Pretty cool.
  7. Aug 13, 2003 #6

Songs of Distant Earth (A C Clarke): Colonisation by robotic probe chips that carry DNA encoded electronically, to prevent degradation.
  8. Aug 13, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: What is the best Sci-Fi idea that you have encountered?

and lottery based reproductive rights that lead to a genetically lucky lady.
  9. Aug 13, 2003 #8
    not really far out there. but Replicators from Star Trek are great. You know, rearranges matter into whatever you want. Mostly used for food on the show though :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?