What is the best Sci-Fi idea that you have encountered?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Sci-fi
In summary, the most interesting ideas that I have read or seen in Sci-Fi are the genetically engineered piano players, the violation of causality, the "Monsters from the ID" on (dramatic sting) FORBIDDEN PLANET, the Songs of Distant Earth (A C Clarke), the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: Infinite Improbability drive, and the Replicators from Star Trek.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From any source, what are the most intersting ideas that you have read or seen in Sci-Fi? Of course, not to give away the plot for those who may see or read what is referenced.

I just saw one that was cool on Gattica [spelling?]. Genetically engineered piano players have 12 fingers. Music is written that can only by played as such.

One of my favorites of all time [one of my first Sci-Fi novels] was by Clark. Here I first encountered the notion of violating causality. I had never really considered such an idea. For those who have read this, I refer to the invaders who looked just like Satan; unltimately associated with the end of the world. This is why we have always had the Satanic image in folklore.

Of course, some of you may recognize a certain tourist planet that was eroding away due to the excessive amount of mass being removed by visitors. It is therefore required that you excrete as much as you eat - you get a receipt from the toilet - or the difference is surgically removed before you can leave for home.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Demolition Man, when John Sparton Crashes the police car and it immediately fills with foam that then solidifies to stop him/the occupants of the car from being injured.

The "Monsters from the ID" on (dramatic sting) FORBIDDEN PLANET

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
One of my favorites of all time [one of my first Sci-Fi novels] was by Clark. Here I first encountered the notion of violating causality. I had never really considered such an idea. For those who have read this, I refer to the invaders who looked just like Satan; unltimately associated with the end of the world. This is why we have always had the Satanic image in folklore.

Childhood's end :smile:
one of my first novels too

I liked the idea of the frictionless machines and anentropic devices in Dune - Heretics and Chapter House...they are just mentioned but I think the ideea is really cool

and the RingWorld (Larry Nieven) - a giant metal strip around a G2 sun

Last edited:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Childhood's end :smile:
I actually borrowed the taped reading of this book from a library and listened to it on a long drive. Really strange book in many ways...i have such distinct memories of that road trip because of that book.

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson has some really great stuff in it (real possible stuff too) (Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars)

Included are : Space elevator and a Solleto?: A giant reflecting lense in space to direct more sunlight onto Mars' surface.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy: Infinite Improbability drive.

Snow Crash : Skateboards which have thousands of little teloscopic tubes instead of wheels. The tubes are spread evenly around an axle, and sensors detect the road surface up ahead and calculate exactly how long to make each rod for a perfeectly smooth ride. These skateboards were used in conjunction with a magnetic anchored rope thing, which you launch at motored vehicles. Couriers used thes skateboards and ropes by attaching to a car and launching themselves forward onto another car up further ahead, and so on, shooting through the traffic much faster than anything else. Pretty cool.

Songs of Distant Earth (A C Clarke): Colonisation by robotic probe chips that carry DNA encoded electronically, to prevent degradation.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
and the RingWorld (Larry Nieven) - a giant metal strip around a G2 sun

and lottery based reproductive rights that lead to a genetically lucky lady.

not really far out there. but Replicators from Star Trek are great. You know, rearranges matter into whatever you want. Mostly used for food on the show though :)

1. What is the best Sci-Fi idea that you have encountered?

The best Sci-Fi idea that I have encountered is the concept of parallel universes. This idea suggests that there are multiple universes existing simultaneously, each with its own unique set of physical laws and possibilities. It opens up endless possibilities for exploration and storytelling, as well as allowing for the exploration of philosophical questions about free will and fate.

2. How does time travel work in Sci-Fi?

In Sci-Fi, time travel is often depicted as the ability to move backwards or forwards in time, either through the use of advanced technology or supernatural abilities. The concept of time travel allows for the exploration of alternate timelines, paradoxes, and the consequences of altering the past.

3. What are some popular themes in Sci-Fi?

Some popular themes in Sci-Fi include dystopian societies, artificial intelligence, extraterrestrial life, and the consequences of scientific advancements. These themes often serve as a commentary on current societal issues and allow for speculation about the future.

4. Can you explain the concept of artificial intelligence in Sci-Fi?

Artificial intelligence, or AI, is a common theme in Sci-Fi that explores the idea of machines or computers becoming self-aware and possessing human-like intelligence. This concept raises questions about the relationship between humans and technology, as well as the potential consequences of creating intelligent beings.

5. How does Sci-Fi reflect real-world issues and advancements in science?

Sci-Fi often serves as a reflection of real-world issues and advancements in science by using imaginative and futuristic scenarios to explore and comment on current societal issues, scientific discoveries, and technological advancements. It allows for the exploration of ethical and moral dilemmas, as well as the potential consequences of scientific progress.