What is the big Union?

• Thread starter Pithikos
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

In my discrete math book there is half a page with very formal explanation of the big Union notation and two very short examples without guidance so I have a hard time understanding what goes on. Here's a http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8507/unionl.jpg" [Broken].

I know the Summation formula and I could understand this Union formula if it didn't have that Ai that came from nowhere. Could someone please give a simple example on this one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

This is a general definition of what we refer to as index sets. Indexes appear in all branches of mathematics, and you've undoubtedly seen them before. Many times where you see a "subscript", that's usually an indication that something is being indexed by the subscript.

The case here is not much different. The first definition (3.10) is read as "...the set [tex]A_{i}[/tex] indexed by [tex]i\in{I}[/tex]." The union and intersections shown there are just the union -- or intersection -- of such [tex]A_{i}[/tex].

This is a general definition of what we refer to as index sets. Indexes appear in all branches of mathematics, and you've undoubtedly seen them before. Many times where you see a "subscript", that's usually an indication that something is being indexed by the subscript.

The case here is not much different. The first definition (3.10) is read as "...the set [tex]A_{i}[/tex] indexed by [tex]i\in{I}[/tex]." The union and intersections shown there are just the union -- or intersection -- of such [tex]A_{i}[/tex].
I understand the index part. I just can't understand what that has to do with the union of some elements.

For example say that set I is {1,2,3,4}. Then I have Q={1, 3}, W={5, 7}, E={100,101}, R={5, 10} and I want to unite those together. If I apply the formula I would get:

[tex]\bigcup^{}_{i \in I}[/tex]Ai=A1[tex]\cup[/tex]A2[tex]\cup[/tex]A3[tex]\cup[/tex]A4

Which doesn't make sense to me as A1, A2.. are not defined anywhere. With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.

I understand the index part. I just can't understand what that has to do with the union of some elements.

For example say that set I is {1,2,3,4}. Then I have Q={1, 3}, W={5, 7}, E={100,101}, R={5, 10} and I want to unite those together. If I apply the formula I would get:

[tex]\bigcup^{}_{i \in I}[/tex]Ai=A1[tex]\cup[/tex]A2[tex]\cup[/tex]A3[tex]\cup[/tex]A4

Which doesn't make sense to me as A1, A2.. are not defined anywhere. With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.
You lost me. Why is A1, A2 not defined? And where/why are the other sets coming into play?

disregardthat
Science Advisor
Yes, it is implicit that the set [tex]\{A_i\}_{i \in I}[/tex], which is the set of A_i for any i in I must be defined before you take the union of them [tex]\bigcup_{i \in I}A_i[/tex].

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

This formula is the union of teh Ai's. If the Ai's aren't the sets you want to union, then this formula won't compute their union. :tongue:

With my thinking this would work only if instead of Q, W, E and R, I used A1, A2, A3 and A4 when naming my sets.
Why "instead of"? You get to choose what I and what the Ai's are.

Incidentally, you could have instead used I = {Q,W,E,R} and set Ai=i. Or, you could forgo temporary variables entirely and write:
[tex]\bigcup_{x\in \{Q,W,E,R\}} x[/tex]​

Ok thanks! I got it :biggrin: