What is the brightest red dwarf star seen from the Earth?

In summary, astronomers have identified Lacaille 8760 as the brightest red dwarf that can be seen from here on Earth. It is a variable star and can be seen with a telescope.
Cerenkov
Hello.

I was wondering if the any astronomers, professional or amateur, could help me with a few questions about red dwarf stars. The main query I have is the one heading this thread - what (or which) is the brightest red dwarf that can be seen from here on Earth?

Associated questions on this topic are...

What is the apparent magnitude of this star?

What kind of telescope is needed to see it?

Many thanks,

Cerenkov.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes sophiecentaur
Thank you Vanadium 50.

Now that I know this I can follow it up further.

Cerenkov.

Cerenkov said:
Thank you Vanadium 50.

Now that I know this I can follow it up further.

Cerenkov.
Google is your friend - particularly for initial research.

If you mean 'naked eye' observation, there seems but one candidate, though not routinely...
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-frequent-flaring-proxima-centauri-bad.html:
The strong flaring activity of Proxima Centauri has already been known to astronomers, and several superflares were observed previously. During such eruptions, extremely large amounts of energy are released that may reach 10^33 ergs, or 10 times the Carrington event in 1859, the strongest flare ever seen on the sun—consider such a flare from a much smaller star. In 2016, during one these superflares, the brightness of Proxima Centauri increased by a factor of 70 compared to its quiescent state —it became the only cool red dwarf visible to the naked eye, albeit only for a few minutes.
/
Caret '^' added for clarity...

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Thank you Nik_2213. I didn't know that.

Cheers.

Cerenkov.

It seems a bit unfair to take several flare stars, Lacaille 8760, Lacaille 21185 and Proxima Centauri and compare Proxima when it is flaring with the others when they are not.

As @lomidrevo kindly alerted me to a while ago, you can use Stellarium's Ctrl-F feature to highlight Lacaille 8760 (or AX Microscopii as its variable designation) in the sky and see various details about it in real time.

Tghu Verd said:
or AX Microscopii as its variable designation

...or Gliese 825

It's as bad as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

Likes andrew s 1905
Vanadium 50 said:
It's as bad as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

Indeed, and there is the Hipparcos Star Catalogue reference (HIP105090) and Henry Draper catalogue reference (HD202560). I don't know any astronomers to ask how they cope with so many names, but presume its arisen because there's lots of stars and lots of people looking at them, so double, triple, and quadruple up of designations is probably inevitable.

Slightly off-topic but, before the internet, there were a LOT of problems correlating and cross-matching catalogues...

Back in 1979/1980, prior to crafting an explorable '3D Planetarium' of 100+ near-by stars on my beloved Apple ][+, I spent a lot of time manually feeding different catalogues' star-systems' RA, Dec & Parallax (mas) to a FP BASIC routine that corrected their 'era' and converted their positions to XYZ light-years.

Given that star-systems are rarely less than several light-years apart, I found a disconcerting number of 'doubles' due individual records' error-bars. Successive astronomers had found them in various 'corners' of their 'box-car', catalogued them as different stars.

Okay, near-by stars were 'unfashionable', especially after van de Kamp's claimed detection of several extra-solar planets collapsed due tiny alignment errors caused by instrument refurbishments. Analogous to subsequent Hubble ST mirror calibration's affliction. 'Professional' Astronomers surely kept catalogue amendment lists for their study regions / types...

The wondrous Hipparchos survey shrank such error bars by an order of magnitude or better. However, there were some oddities. IIRC, follow-up work suggests the Big H's sensors and algorithms could be 'thrown' by close binaries, random noise pixels, back-ground stars and solar flares off-setting the apparent position. The Gaia survey seems immune to those failure modes, but may have its own quirks...

Likes member 656954

1. What is a red dwarf star?

A red dwarf star is a type of small, cool star that is typically less than half the mass of the Sun. They are the most common type of star in the Milky Way galaxy and are known for their long lifespans, which can be trillions of years.

2. How bright is the brightest red dwarf star seen from Earth?

The brightest red dwarf star seen from Earth is Proxima Centauri, which has an apparent magnitude of 11.13. This means that it is not visible to the naked eye, but can be seen with a telescope.

3. How far away is the brightest red dwarf star from Earth?

Proxima Centauri, the brightest red dwarf star seen from Earth, is located approximately 4.2 light years away from us. This is equivalent to about 25 trillion miles.

4. Can red dwarf stars support life?

Red dwarf stars are not considered to be ideal for supporting life as we know it. They emit much less energy than the Sun, which means that any planets in their habitable zone would need to be much closer in order to receive enough heat and light. This could lead to tidal locking, where one side of the planet is always facing the star, making it inhospitable for life.

5. Are there any notable red dwarf stars besides Proxima Centauri?

Yes, there are several notable red dwarf stars besides Proxima Centauri. These include Barnard's Star, which is the second closest star to Earth at only 6 light years away, and TRAPPIST-1, which has been found to have at least 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting it. However, none of these stars are visible to the naked eye.