What is the reasoning behind the C/++# tag on posts in this group?

• Thread starter harborsparrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tag
In summary, there is confusion about the C/++# tag on posts in this group as it lumps together C and C++ despite being different languages. The group members suggest having a separate category for C# as it is a managed language and has significant differences from C and C++. They also believe that the tags should be separated to avoid confusion. Some members suggest that this discussion should be moved to the Feedback section of the forum.
harborsparrow
Gold Member
I'm confused by the C/++# tag on posts in this group. C and C++ do belong together.

OTOH, C# is a managed language, more like Java, and though its syntax is similar, it is a completely different language. Everything is very different. Could we have C# in its own category? I could help with C# more but I'm rusty on C/C++ and each time, I have to open the post and read it to know which category I'm dealing with.

Is this something people are just randomly doing, or is it something the forum can control?

Technology news on Phys.org
C# is nevertheless a derivative of plain C.
While it functions internally in a very different manner to the other C family languages, much of the details of it's syntax are the same.

But my point is, that only the syntax is similar.

C# is a MANAGED language. You don't have to release memory (most of the time). String handing is easy. You don't need to know how wide integers are, etc. It has single inheritance (whereas C++ has multiple inheritence, a great complicator). C# is in fact completely different to programmers than C++. So it should not IMO be lumped together in a topic with C/C++.

Likes Psinter
harborsparrow said:
But my point is, that only the syntax is similar.

C# is a MANAGED language. You don't have to release memory (most of the time). String handing is easy. You don't need to know how wide integers are, etc. It has single inheritance (whereas C++ has multiple inheritence, a great complicator). C# is in fact completely different to programmers than C++. So it should not IMO be lumped together in a topic with C/C++.
I agree with this, it is very different. It would help a little more with identification if the tags were separated. (As a side note I think this thread belongs in the Feedback section of the forum. :smile:)

harborsparrow said:
I'm confused by the C/++# tag on posts in this group. C and C++ do belong together.
I believe that they were lumped together by the owner of this site, Greg Bernhardt, to distinguish questions on any of these languages from questions on Fortran or Python, for example.

What is the C tag?

The C tag is a programming language tag used in HTML to define a section of code written in the C programming language.

What is the C++ tag?

The C++ tag is a programming language tag used in HTML to define a section of code written in the C++ programming language.

What is the C# tag?

The C# tag is a programming language tag used in HTML to define a section of code written in the C# programming language. It is commonly used for Microsoft .NET applications.

What is the difference between the C, C++, and C# tags?

The C, C++, and C# tags all represent different programming languages, each with their own syntax and features. C is a low-level language used for system programming, C++ is an object-oriented language often used for system and application development, and C# is a high-level language used for developing applications for the Microsoft .NET framework.

Why are these tags important for web development?

These tags are important for web development because they allow for the inclusion of code written in different programming languages within an HTML document. This allows for more dynamic and interactive web pages and applications.