What is the cause of the occasional itch?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the occasional itch is most likely caused by the skin cells producing a chemical that causes the itch. Getting rid of the itch can be done by getting a wife, using a chicken as a scratching pad, or using sterile gloves while scrubbing in for surgery.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What is the cause of the occasional itch? one can look in a mirror and not see the cause.

Physics news on Phys.org
{itches shoulder} I dunno

I would hesitate to even guess in your case.
As for me, it's been a different cause every trip to the clinic...

Fleas? Fiberglass insulation? Scabies?

I like all the other answers better. I was just going to suggest something boring like dry skin or getting tickled by a hair or some such.

soap combines with hard water sticks to the skin (like the soap scum on shower walls) is one common reason---get a water softener, or that soap that isn't made out of 'soap' if that may be the cause

One way to tell if you have hard water is if you've got long enough hair to try this is:

is your hair 'squeaky' clean when its wet and you pull it? Its really caused by the soap scum stuck on the hair, the the noise (squeak) is like the resin put on a violin bow--without the resin, the violin wouldn't 'sound' hardly at all.

The soap scum on the skin soaks up the natural oils, dries out the skin, and causes the skin to 'itch'.

The chemical that causes the itch is created by your own skin cells. They produce it when they are irritated. Many different things irritate skin cells. The skin cells in my back get irritated pretty good just when I climb into bed. My wife scratches my back and I feel much better.

there you go, wolram--get rid of the itch by getting a wife

hypatia said:
{itches shoulder} I dunno

It is usually the center of my shoulders that get the occasional itch, normally when i am carrying some thing, this is were doors come in handy.

Oooooo, I get an itch like that too. And scratching it doesn't give a lot of relief...at least, not for long.

A nurse told me it's probably a nerve thing, because I get mine after sitting at the computer too long.

rewebster said:
there you go, wolram--get rid of the itch by getting a wife

No, getting rid of a wife is much harder than getting rid of an itch.

it may be dry skin then--you're stretching that area (the skin) and if its dry, its being pulled apart (microscopically), irritating it, causing that chemical to be produced, which causes the itch---try some oil replenishing lotion for a quick fix

wolram said:

you could always get a chicken and spread some chicken feed on your back--its easy to get rid of a chicken if it doesn't do a scratch

rewbster, it is no big problem, i may get an itch once a month, having said that my ear has started itching and my nose.

wolram said:
rewbster, it is no big problem, i may get an itch once a month, having said that my ear has started itching and my nose.

you know that old saying,

when your nose and your ear both start itching, it's time to get a wife

wolram said:

My nose only itches when my hands are full.

edward said:

hmmm, funny----My hands only itch when my nose is full.

wolram said:
:rofl:

edward said:

Mine waits until I've scrubbed in for surgery and donned sterile gloves and cannot touch a thing! :grumpy: You have to have REALLY kind coworkers to get them to scratch your nose for you when you can't.

Moonbear said:
Mine waits until I've scrubbed in for surgery and donned sterile gloves and cannot touch a thing! :grumpy: You have to have REALLY kind coworkers to get them to scratch your nose for you when you can't.

I'm surprised they don't have a device, like a rubbing station, for this purpose. You know, like the ones you see in barnyards.

Moonbear said:

or, you could use the door like wolram does

Moonbear said:

A cruel one with a feather could make your life hell.

rewebster said:
or, you could use the door like wolram does

Don't think I haven't considered it! That, or the sterile forceps work too...hold one end to stay sterile, and scratch with the other end you keep non-sterile. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

You're a surgeon?

DaveC426913 said:
You're a surgeon?

Only if you're a sheep. :biggrin: :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
You're a surgeon?

She also does weddings and bar mitzvahs.

Moonbear said:

It's something to do with their brains, isn't it?

Have you got a grant to what the relationship is between sheep and republicans?

rewebster said:
It's something to do with their brains, isn't it?
Yep.

There are some questions I'd rather not know the answers to. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
So that's why you refer to the people you work with as cow orkers.

DaveC426913 said:
So that's why you refer to the people you work with as cow orkers.

No, they're cow-irkers. :biggrin:

rewebster said:

You're thinking of sheeple.

lisab said:
You're thinking of sheeple.

I think that's what happens when you get lonely sheep farmers and...:uhh: Well, you can figure out the rest yourself. :biggrin:

Man ram sheep?

Dunno but my first grade teacher told us not to scratch our itches. Something about if we scratched one, then there would be another and so on.

wolram said:
Man ram sheep?

:rofl:::rofl::rofl:

binzing said:
Dunno but my first grade teacher told us not to scratch our itches. Something about if we scratched one, then there would be another and so on.

I just do not have the will power to resist scratching.

Cotton wool makes me itch and sends shudders down my spine, i can not stand the stuff
near me.

1. What causes the occasional itch?

The cause of an occasional itch can vary depending on the individual and the location of the itch. It can be caused by a variety of factors such as dry skin, insect bites, allergies, or skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.

2. Can stress be a cause of occasional itching?

Yes, stress can be a contributing factor to occasional itching. When we are stressed, our bodies release cortisol, a hormone that can affect our immune system and make us more susceptible to skin irritations and allergies.

3. Is scratching the itch helpful or harmful?

Scratching an itch may provide temporary relief, but it can also cause further irritation and even break the skin, making it more susceptible to infection. It is best to avoid scratching and find other ways to relieve the itch, such as applying a cold compress or using anti-itch creams.

4. Are there any underlying medical conditions that can cause occasional itching?

Yes, there are several underlying medical conditions that can cause occasional itching, such as liver or kidney disease, thyroid problems, or certain types of cancer. If you experience frequent or persistent itching, it is important to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues.

5. How can I prevent occasional itching?

To prevent occasional itching, it is important to maintain good hygiene, moisturize dry skin, avoid harsh chemicals or irritants, and manage stress levels. If you have allergies, avoiding triggers and taking antihistamines can also help prevent itching. If the itching persists, consult a doctor for further advice and treatment.