What is the change in density if the water is heated to 85oC?

In summary, the problem is to find the change in density of water when heated from 4oC to 85oC, using a coefficient of volume expansion of 2.10x10-6/oC. The solution involves calculating the volume expansion, finding the final volume, and using this to calculate the change in density.
Jayhawk1
Here's the problem:

The density of water at 4oC is 1.00x103kg/m3. What is the change in density if the water is heated to 85oC? Remember that the change will be the final density minus the initial density. Assume a coefficient of volume expansion of 2.10x10-6/oC.

Now, I have tried using a standard mass of 1000KG and solving the problem that way, however I am way off... please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Jayhawk1 said:
Here's the problem:

The density of water at 4oC is 1.00x103kg/m3. What is the change in density if the water is heated to 85oC? Remember that the change will be the final density minus the initial density. Assume a coefficient of volume expansion of 2.10x10-6/oC.

Now, I have tried using a standard mass of 1000KG and solving the problem that way, however I am way off... please help
SOLUTION HINTS:
By definition:
{Coefficient of Volume Thermal Expansion} = α = (-1/ρ)(Δρ/ΔT)
::: ⇒ Δρ = -αρΔT
Use values given in problem statement for terms on the right to calculate "Δρ".

~~

Jayhawk1 said:
Here's the problem:

Calculate the volume expansion assuming an initial volume V_0. Add that to the initial volume to find a final volume. Multiply the initial density times V_0 to get an initial mass expressed in terms of V_0. Divide that mass by the new volume. The V_0 factors will all divide out. It will work.

1. What is density and how is it measured?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is typically measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How does temperature affect the density of water?

Water's density decreases as its temperature increases. This is because as water molecules are heated, they gain energy and move farther apart, taking up more space and reducing the overall density of the water.

3. What is the density of water at 85oC?

The density of water at 85oC is 0.94 g/cm3.

4. How does the change in density of water at 85oC impact its properties?

As the density of water decreases at 85oC, its volume increases. This means that the heated water will take up more space and become less dense, making it less buoyant and more likely to evaporate or boil at a lower temperature.

5. What factors can affect the density of water at 85oC?

The density of water at 85oC can be affected by the purity of the water, the atmospheric pressure, and the concentration of other substances dissolved in the water. It can also be influenced by the type of container the water is heated in and the rate at which it is heated or cooled.