What is the change in kinetic energy of the proton?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made while calculating the change in kinetic energy of a proton moving along an electric field. The formula KE = qE/d is used, with a distance of .1m and a magnitude of 3V/m. The mistake was squaring the distance, which is incorrect.
Dx
A proton moves .1m along hte direction of an electric field of magnitude 3V/m. what iss the change in kinetic energy of the proton?

I have KE = qE/d...1.6x10^-27 * 3V/m /(.1^2)= 4.8x 10^-25 but got it wrong on the test.
What did i do wrong?
Dx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Dx
A proton moves .1m along hte direction of an electric field of magnitude 3V/m. what iss the change in kinetic energy of the proton?

I have KE = qE/d...

Note: In the formula, distance is not squared, which is correct.

1.6x10^-27 * 3V/m /(.1^2)= 4.8x 10^-25 but got it wrong on the test.
What did i do wrong?

You squared the distance, which is incorrect.

Ok!

Darn it! I missed that on my test, stupid math mistakes gets me all the time. Thanks Tom!
Dx :wink:

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity squared.

2. How is kinetic energy related to the change in velocity?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the change in velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. How can the change in kinetic energy of a proton be calculated?

The change in kinetic energy of a proton can be calculated using the equation ΔKE = 1/2 mv2 - 1/2 mu2, where m is the mass of the proton and v and u are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

4. What factors can cause a change in kinetic energy of a proton?

A change in kinetic energy of a proton can be caused by changes in its velocity or mass. External forces, such as electric or magnetic fields, can also impact the kinetic energy of a proton.

5. Why is the change in kinetic energy of a proton important to study?

Studying the change in kinetic energy of a proton can help us understand the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic level. It is also important in fields such as nuclear physics and particle accelerators, where precise measurements of kinetic energy are necessary.