1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the change in potential energy of the moon if it comes 4.0 cm closer to the e

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    earth?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Mass of moon - 7.3 x 10^22 kg
    Mass of earth - 6.0 x 10^24
    distance between moon and earth - 356400 km
    change in distance 4 cm
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just need to check if my answer is correct, I get some thing to the power 28, using the equation GMm/r

Is my answer reasonable?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    Re: What is the change in potential energy of the moon if it comes 4.0 cm closer to t

You should get something to the 28 for the potential energy at 356400 km. Now move it 4cm and find a new potential. You will need to keep a lot of digits because most will subtract out when you find the difference between the two potentials.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    Re: What is the change in potential energy of the moon if it comes 4.0 cm closer to t

I get something to the power 28 when I use the formula:
    for r in meters,
    -GMm/r - ( - GMm/(r+4x10^-2)

so is the value I got wrong then?

5. May 14, 2012 #4

By the way do I need to find the potential (i.e. GM/r) or the potential energy (GM m(moon) )/r ?

6. May 14, 2012 #5

-GMm/r

This itself should be about 10^28 if you do an order of magnitude estimate

- GMm/(r+4x10^-2)

This also be around 10^28 and be very close to the previous value.

It should be so close because r changed by only about 0.00001% This means that there should be a large number of digits that subtract out between the two numbers.

Your initial post said potential energy, so I think that's what you need. You wouldn't need the moon's mass to find potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook