Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the college path for Physics Major?

  1. Apr 22, 2005 #1
    In the medical feild after high school you go to 4 years to pre-med, then like 7 or 8 years of medical school. What is the college path for physics major?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    For med school, it's 4 years undergraduate (pre-med) and 4 years of medical school. Once you start doing your residencies, you already have an MD, and are just learning your specialty.

    For a physics major, it depends on what you plan to do with it and how far you want to take your education. 4 years undergraduate, and you'll graduate with a B.A. or B.S. You can then decide if you want to go out and get a job (not sure what you can do with a B.S. in physics that's related to physics; someone else here will have to fill in that information), or you can go on to graduate school to get a M.S. and/or Ph.D. For physics, that's probably a minimum of 6 more years of education, but PhD programs are completely individualized beyond the basic coursework, so it could be longer or shorter depending on how well your research works out.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook