Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the color Green?

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    Yes this ambiguous title lends it's self negotiably to how relevant it is to the topic at hand, but to be honest I'm tired and this is the best/simplest way I can word my question. And I would like to make the caveat that if another thread has already discussed this (as many refer to determinism and the so called mind/body problem), I have not taken time to read through it.

I am also going to disregard QM in here because as it relates to free will, there is no such thing as designed randomness.

Now I'm not asking for the wavelength of a certain type of light, but rather a question of perception. Now physically the wavelength of light that corresponds to the energy required to change a simple molecule, protein... etc into another molecule that starts some sort of metabolic process that leads to the eventual generation of an action potential, which is then spread or cut off in the nearby neural lattice, and eventually some effect will radiate through the brain causing some reaction, whether that be internal (A change in the neural structure) or external (Like a responsive muscular contraction) or both. Now as far as I can see, this is purely deterministic on the basic neuron cluster level, so If we scale this up to our entire brain, I don't see how that would be in anyway altered.

But, this is my query, I still see an intangible color in my brain, I am still conscious. Why don't I feel the involuntary subconscious processes in the same way I feel one I deem as conscious...? I suppose it could be easily answered by saying that subconscious functions take relatively less time, and don't cause such a memorable effect. But that begs the question... Why do I experience anything physically intangible? Or is it actually physically intangible?

And if I see the color green, what is stopping saying rocks or any other physical system does the same in a less organized manner. After all there is no basic physical difference between rocks, chimps and humans.

Also, I wonder about a question, of "how do I know your green is mine?" we could see different colors, but have learnt to call them the same name and treat them in the same way... possibly?

Since the physical system of the brain operates under the laws of physics like any other physical system, the only way for intangible colors to exist is if they arise from, but do not affect the system, because if they affected the system, we would detect them and it would interfere with our physical understanding of the system, and the colors would cease to be "intangible" and instead become physically explained.

And thus, this conversation, and any other observation by a physical system (my brain) of the color green, should show that the color green (however complex its origin may be) is physically tangible, Because the presence of the intangible color physically affects my brain. It seems to me that this is deductive proof that mind is body, and color, and all consciousness is an illusion... either that or I am caught in a delirious moment of ignorance Hahah.

Also it would seem to prove that we all see the same colors due to the similarity of our brains, so your green is mine.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted