What is the combustion efficiency of liquid fuel rockets?

In summary, the efficiency of fuel burning in a liquid fuel rocket engine is not accurately measured by traditional combustion efficiency. Instead, rocket engineers focus on factors such as specific impulse and thrust per engine diameter to optimize performance. This is due to the fact that an optimum oxidizer to fuel ratio is achieved at a value lower than the stoichiometric ratio, leading to the presence of combustible products that enhance specific impulse, which is the main consideration in hybrid rocket design.
Cato
How efficiently is the fuel burned in a typical liquid fuel rocket engine? I've heard numbers ranging from 95% to below 50%.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a direct answer to your question. However, it indicates that combustion efficiency is not the right question.

https://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/other/22-rocket-engine-bssc said:
As such, we find that an optimum sp I is achieved at a value of O:F (oxidiser to fuel ratio) that is significantly lower than the stoichiometric ratio (please refer to Reference 7) for complete combustion. This leads to the presence of combustible products in the plume. These combustibles are here by design to enhance sp I , i.e. they should not be regarded as unburnt fuel. sp I is the main driver of hybrid rocket design rather than combustion efficiency.

Likes berkeman
As anorlunda indicates, combustion efficiency really isn't the correct figure of merit. Instead, rocket engineers look at things like impulse density (how much momentum change can you get from a given volume of fuel), specific impulse (how much momentum change can you get from a given mass of fuel), and thrust per engine diameter (different fuels will require different sizes of engines to produce the same thrust).

1. What is combustion efficiency?

Combustion efficiency refers to the percentage of fuel that is converted into energy through the process of combustion. It is a measure of how effectively a fuel is burned and how much energy is released.

2. How is combustion efficiency calculated?

Combustion efficiency is calculated by dividing the amount of energy produced by the fuel by the maximum amount of energy that could have been produced if the fuel had been completely burned.

3. Why is combustion efficiency important for liquid fuel rockets?

Combustion efficiency is important for liquid fuel rockets because it directly affects the amount of thrust and energy that can be generated to propel the rocket. A higher combustion efficiency means more energy is produced and therefore the rocket can travel farther and faster.

4. What factors can affect the combustion efficiency of liquid fuel rockets?

The combustion efficiency of liquid fuel rockets can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of fuel used, the design and condition of the rocket engine, and the ratio of fuel to oxidizer. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact combustion efficiency.

5. How can the combustion efficiency of liquid fuel rockets be improved?

The combustion efficiency of liquid fuel rockets can be improved by using high-quality and efficient fuels, optimizing the design and operation of the rocket engine, and carefully controlling the fuel to oxidizer ratio. Extensive testing and research can also help identify and address any issues that may be affecting combustion efficiency.