What is the correction use to determine marine gravity anomaly

In summary, the conversation discusses a final year research project on evaluating marine gravity and satellite altimetry data in coastal regions. The student is struggling with using basic radar altimetry tool software and determining the correct formulas and corrections for their process. They are seeking advice and guidance on the matter.
nasroltrivial
Dear sir/ma'am,
I am a bachelor of Survey Science and Geomatic student from Malaysia. This is my final year and I have to complete a research, where my research is about to evaluate marine gravity and satellite altimetry data on coastal region.

1. Homework Statement

I am in the middle of processing a satellite altimetry data on coastal region. I am using basic radar altimetry tool software and using Jason2 satellite coastal product. The problem is I do not know what correction and formulas involve in this process.

2. Homework Equations

1) What is the formulas or correction can I use to put in the field expression to determine marine gravity anomaly using basic radar altimetry tool (BRAT) software?
2) What type of data in the 'dataset' should I choose for this process?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have try to use SSHA data to execute the process, the result come out in error.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also try to search around the internet but still unable to find the answers. Therefore, I am seeking for your advice or guidance in this matter. Thank you for your attention and kind help.

1. What is marine gravity anomaly?

Marine gravity anomaly is the difference between the actual gravity at a specific location on the Earth's surface and the expected gravity at that same location. It is measured in units of milligals (mGal) and is influenced by variations in the Earth's crust and mantle.

2. How is marine gravity anomaly measured?

Marine gravity anomaly is measured using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the gravitational acceleration at a specific location. This data is then used to calculate the marine gravity anomaly for that location.

3. What is the correction used to determine marine gravity anomaly?

The correction used to determine marine gravity anomaly is the Free-Air Correction. This correction takes into account the distance between the measuring location and the center of the Earth, as well as the height above sea level.

4. Why is marine gravity anomaly important?

Marine gravity anomaly is important because it can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of the Earth's crust and mantle. It is also used in geophysical exploration to identify potential oil and gas reserves and to study ocean floor processes.

5. How does marine gravity anomaly affect sea level?

Marine gravity anomaly has a small effect on sea level, as it is caused by variations in the Earth's crust and mantle rather than changes in the ocean's water level. However, it can contribute to long-term changes in sea level by affecting the shape and volume of the ocean basins.