1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the cross section?

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find the ratio of cross sections.
    (b) Find the cross section for electron-neutrino scattering by first writing down relevant factors.
    2011_B4_Q8.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)

These represent the neutral current scattering for the muon-neutrino and neutral/charged scattering for electron-neutrino. Feynman diagrams are given by
    2011_B4_Q8_2.png

Given that there are 2 possibilities for the electronic case, I say ##R = 2##?

Part (b)

Propagator factor is given by ##\frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_w^2}## which in the zero-momentum frame is ##\approx \frac{1}{m_w^2}##.
    There are two vertices, so another factor of ##g_w^2##.
    Thus amplitude is ##\frac{g_w^2}{m_w^2}##.
    By fermi's golden rule, ##\Gamma = 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_0}##.
    Cross section is ##d\sigma = \frac{\Gamma}{v_e}##.

How do I proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2
  4. May 12, 2015 #3
    I'm looking for a hand-wavy approach in the sense we avoid explicitly calculating the feynman probabilities.

I think the density of states is something like: ##\frac{dN}{dE_0} = \frac{dN_e}{dp_e} \frac{dp_e}{dE_0} = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} p_e^2 dp_e \frac{dp_e}{dE_0} ##. How do I proceed?

5. May 14, 2015 #4
  6. May 14, 2015 #5
    Sorry I've been busy! Didn't find time to reply more. I know better what kind of answer is needed. I'll try to post later today.

7. May 16, 2015 #6
  8. May 17, 2015 #7
    As I remember you integrate over angle but not over momenta at tree level.

9. May 17, 2015 #8
    So How do I find the cross section at tree level feynman diagrams?

10. May 17, 2015 #9
    For each tree diagram you have a coupling constant at each vertex, a delta function that says momentum is conserved so inner momentum, that of the Z or W is fixed, because in and out particles are on-shell. So the integration over d3p, 3d momentum. becomes integral over solid angle omega. Let me know if this helps. http://www.iop.vast.ac.vn/theor/conferences/vsop/18/files/QFT-6.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted