How Do You Calculate Cross Sections in Electron-Neutrino Scattering?

In summary, calculating cross sections in electron-neutrino scattering involves using the Standard Model to determine the probability of a neutrino interacting with an electron and producing a specific scattering angle. This is done by considering the energy and momentum of the particles and using mathematical equations to calculate the cross section, which represents the likelihood of the interaction occurring. This process is important in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and can provide valuable insights into the properties of neutrinos.
unscientific

Homework Statement

[/B]
(a) Find the ratio of cross sections.
(b) Find the cross section for electron-neutrino scattering by first writing down relevant factors.
2011_B4_Q8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)[/B]
These represent the neutral current scattering for the muon-neutrino and neutral/charged scattering for electron-neutrino. Feynman diagrams are given by
2011_B4_Q8_2.png

Given that there are 2 possibilities for the electronic case, I say ##R = 2##?

Part (b)

Propagator factor is given by ##\frac{1}{P \cdot P - m_w^2}## which in the zero-momentum frame is ##\approx \frac{1}{m_w^2}##.
There are two vertices, so another factor of ##g_w^2##.
Thus amplitude is ##\frac{g_w^2}{m_w^2}##.
By fermi's golden rule, ##\Gamma = 2\pi |M_{fi}|^2 \frac{dN}{dE_0}##.
Cross section is ##d\sigma = \frac{\Gamma}{v_e}##.

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the course asks you to do things you haven't seen in class. If that's the case, these lecture notes might help http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic521209.files/QFT-Schwartz.pdf
It's been a while since I've computed cross-sections. If I see something better I'll let you know.

thierrykauf said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the course asks you to do things you haven't seen in class. If that's the case, these lecture notes might help http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic521209.files/QFT-Schwartz.pdf
It's been a while since I've computed cross-sections. If I see something better I'll let you know.
I'm looking for a hand-wavy approach in the sense we avoid explicitly calculating the feynman probabilities.

I think the density of states is something like: ##\frac{dN}{dE_0} = \frac{dN_e}{dp_e} \frac{dp_e}{dE_0} = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} p_e^2 dp_e \frac{dp_e}{dE_0} ##. How do I proceed?

bumpp

Sorry I've been busy! Didn't find time to reply more. I know better what kind of answer is needed. I'll try to post later today.

bumpp

As I remember you integrate over angle but not over momenta at tree level.

thierrykauf said:
As I remember you integrate over angle but not over momenta at tree level.

So How do I find the cross section at tree level feynman diagrams?

For each tree diagram you have a coupling constant at each vertex, a delta function that says momentum is conserved so inner momentum, that of the Z or W is fixed, because in and out particles are on-shell. So the integration over d3p, 3d momentum. becomes integral over solid angle omega. Let me know if this helps. http://www.iop.vast.ac.vn/theor/conferences/vsop/18/files/QFT-6.pdf

1. What is the cross section?

The cross section is the measure of the area of a two-dimensional shape that is intersected by a three-dimensional object or space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the probability of a particle interacting with a specific target.

2. How is the cross section calculated?

The cross section is calculated by taking the area of the shape that is being intersected and dividing it by the length or width of the intersecting object. In some cases, the calculation may also involve taking into account the orientation of the intersecting object.

3. What is the difference between a differential cross section and a total cross section?

A differential cross section is a measure of the probability of a particle interacting with a specific target at a particular angle, while a total cross section is the probability of interaction regardless of angle. The total cross section is obtained by integrating the differential cross section over all angles.

4. What are some common units for cross section?

The most common units for cross section are square meters (m^2) and barns (b). Barns are commonly used in nuclear physics and are equivalent to 10^-28 square meters. Other units such as square centimeters (cm^2) and millibarns (mb) may also be used.

5. How is the cross section used in practical applications?

The cross section is used in a variety of applications, such as calculating the likelihood of collisions in particle accelerators, determining the effectiveness of shielding materials against radiation, and predicting the outcomes of chemical reactions. It is also used in astrophysics to understand the interactions of particles in space.