What is the current in the cell during that period?

In summary, the problem involves finding the current in an electrolytic cell when 3.50 x 10^-3 kg of gold is deposited on the negative electrode in 2.99 hours. The formula I = DeltaQ/DeltaT is used, and the mass of gold is converted to moles using the molar mass found on the periodic table. The number of gold ions is then calculated and multiplied by the elementary charge to find the total charge transferred. The time is converted to seconds and used in the formula to find the current, which is approximately 0.16 amps.
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

If 3.50 x 10^-3 kg of gold is deposited on the negative electrode of an electrolytic cell in a period of 2.99 h, what is the current in the cell during that period? Assume that the gold ions carry one elementary unit of positive charge. (A)

Homework Equations

I = DeltaQ/DeltaT
I = DeltaV/R (I don't think this is needed)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have been reading the book and asked a friend who had taken physics before but was not able to figure this out.

I believe I have to use the formula I = DeltaQ/DeltaT, but not sure how I would use it as in would deltaT be 2.99 h x 60? I said that because when I used it before it was always min x 60 sec.

My main problem is I never encounter where a given is in mass form with an element such as gold. How would I convert 3.50 x 10^-3 kg into a number to fit into as equation to solve for A (current).

Please help me or give me some tips on where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
where do these guys get these questions? But you are right, you need to know the wt of gold, specically the atomic mass.Look it ip on a periodic table. Then its easy to convert that mass to the number of moles and hence the Coulombs of charge transferred which iirc is something like 96,500 coulombs/mole. But check that figure as well.

Okay, I completely lost you when you started to mention the periodic table and Coulombs of charge.

Anyway to explain this problem easier?

ok, you need to know a bit of chemistry to do this. (like denverdoc said)
so one gold ions == one elementary unit of charge (simple enough)
now you want to know how many gold ions are there in 3.5g of gold. to do this you need to know the molar mass of gold (the unit is in grams per mole)
some definitions:
The relative isotopic mass of carbon-12 is set at 12 exactly, and we define one mole of carbon-12 as weighing 12 g. Now, consider the mass of one mole of Chlorine atoms. Chlorine has a relative atomic mass of 35.5, so one mole of it weighs 35.5 g. In general the mass of one mole (molar mass) of an element or compound is the relative mass of the element or compound (in grams)

So if you go to the periodic table you will find this value for gold (Au). Now, once you know this number (ie. the molar mass) then we can easily relate
mass (m), molar mass (M) and number of mole (n) via n = m/M. And since one mole contains [tex]N_A[/tex] particles where [tex]N_A[/tex] is the Avogadro's number (6.02x10^23), so actual number can be deduced once the amount of mole of gold is known.

once you have worked out the number of gold ions...then you know the amount of charges going through the electrode and hence can work out the average current in the time period given.

Last edited:
Okay, I had to do some searching for a periodic table and got Gold atom weight is 196.97.

So, n = 3.50/196.97 = .0178

.0178(6.02 x 10^23) = 1.07156 x 10^22

(1.07156 x 10^22)/2.99 = 3.584 x 10^21 (A)

Is that the way to do it or did I make any conversion wrong?

btw it said in the periodic table Au (gold) is Atomic weight: 196.966569 (4) not sure what that 4 is in ( )

time unit should be in seconds... observe that your current is gigantic! you forgot about the elementary charge value too

(1.07156 x 10^22)(1.6 x 10^-19)/ 2.99 x 60

1714.496/179.4

9.56 (A)

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or am I doing something very wrong again.

Okay, I figure this out and realize what I did wrong.

instead of 179.4 it was suppose to be 10764 second.

basically it was 2.99 h x 60 minute x 60 second.

which then give the answer of .16 (A)

Thanks for the help.

1. What is the current in the cell during that period?

The current in a cell during a specific period of time can vary depending on various factors such as the type of cell, its size, and the external conditions. In general, the current in a cell is the rate at which electric charge flows through the cell's circuit and is measured in amperes (A).

2. How is current measured in a cell?

Current in a cell can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is connected in series with the cell and measures the flow of electric charge. The ammeter must be placed in the circuit in such a way that all the current flowing through the cell also flows through the ammeter.

3. What affects the current in a cell?

The current in a cell can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used in the cell, the temperature, the size of the cell, and the resistance in the circuit. Any changes in these factors can result in a change in the current flowing through the cell during a specific period of time.

4. How does the current in a cell change over time?

The current in a cell can change over time due to various reasons such as the depletion of reactants, changes in temperature, and changes in external conditions. In some cells, the current may decrease as the reactants are consumed, while in others it may increase due to changes in the concentration of reactants.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a cell?

The relationship between voltage and current in a cell is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a cell is directly proportional to the voltage across the cell and inversely proportional to the resistance in the circuit. In other words, as the voltage increases, the current also increases, while an increase in resistance results in a decrease in current.