Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the current state of affairs in China?

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    I'm really interested in learning what things are like in China. I know from an economic perspective, employment and GDP are booming at a rate unmatched in the entire world, but what of the political structure? How "Communist" is China still? What's the tax structure like in China, and how much re-distribution of wealth is there? Is there any sort of Democracy at all, or is it still a totally unrepresentative form of government? Does anyone know of any good articles, books or anything like that outlining the current state of affairs in China?

Thanks alot,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2
  4. May 18, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I need to find some chinese mutual funds :D

5. May 18, 2005 #4
    Personally I don't trust China AT ALL.
    The Communists are in power and the anti-secession bill, restrictions on free speech, etc. just show that they have no intention of letting it go.
    They do not have free press and free speech. All the economic "liberalization" of China is just at the mercy of the government. One word and it could completely end. Besides China would be a very useful ally for someone at war against the US. It could totally disrupt the economy.

6. May 18, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well, remember, economics is a 2 way street. They'd take a huge hit as well.... but is till wanna invest there :D

7. May 18, 2005 #6
    Given the state of chinese stock markets, I'm suprised. They've performed exceedingly poorly over the past decade, are rife with corruption, contain large numbers of companies that exist only in name, and as a whole don't do a good job of mimicking the chinese economy.

Of course, if they let their currency float it could make up for some of that, I suppose.

8. May 18, 2005 #7

adrenaline

Science Advisor

Here is a good synopsis from Sratfor Intelligence:

9. May 18, 2005 #8
    You better be concerned with what is happening here, let me give you an example. I passed a train yard on the way into town today, every car on every train, was from China.

10. May 18, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe the train traveled underwater all the way from china.... yah... ever think of that? lol. How in the world did you know what every car was? did you stop and look? Do yo have a job? lol. :D

11. May 23, 2005 #10
    maybe not every car is made in china but half of its components are, and well... whole Wal-Mart is China.
    i have nothing agaist china, problems lies with american corporations in search for cheap buck, and with zero loyalty to America.

12. May 24, 2005 #11
    I guess then that the American corporations destroyed the Tibetan Buddhist culture.
    My problem with China

13. May 24, 2005 #12
    Okay ! Tibet was invaded by Chinese, so why Bush does not liberate Tibet if he is such a freedom fighter and lover of democracy?

14. May 24, 2005 #13
    Not a bad idea. Liberate Tibet, install a US-friendly Dalai Llama who used to work for Unical until they can elect their own (no need for all this reincarnation red tape), thus creating a government likely to give the US a good deal on cheap karma. The French will complain, mind, when they start getting what they deserve, eh? Eh?

15. May 24, 2005 #14
    I said llama... i friggin kill me...

16. May 25, 2005 #15
    That is the first sensible thing to come from you.
    A very good question.

17. May 25, 2005 #16
    a. The US would gain nothing out of it. War in Iraq was for WMD which according to the intelligence report, were not found. The fact that the war liberated Iraq is an effect, it was not the MAIN purpose of the war.

b. Warring with China would devastate the US and China economically, cause countless deaths and will end in a mutual nuke attack.

China should have been forced to set up a democracy and constitutional republic protecting individual rights BEFORE it had any influence.
    Now only a very major tech discovery which escalates US to the heights of glory and ruins the Chinese eco. can get the world out of the coming Communist domination.

18. May 25, 2005 #17
    As sid_galt pointed out, declaring war on China is a good way to get into trouble. Death toll for that conflict would probably be in the hundreds of millions. Not to mention the fact that the economic havoc might destroy a good chunk of the world economy. Personally I would like to have a free Tibet, but I don't think it will be an easy job.

China's a bit of an enigma these days. On one hand it has insane economic growth, excellent potential and an extremely active industrial sector. On the other hand it has a tremendously high percentage of its population working agriculture, with less arable land than the United States. In their big cities they have a huge divide between the rich and the poor, and the social system that ties everything together is starting to show some strain. They also have massive, uncontrolled corruption. China is no longer a Communist country-it's been transformed into a hyper-capitalist nation. If they ever do re-discover Marx and Mao in China the results will probably be very messy.

In short, although predicting the future of China is slightly easier than predicting tomorrow's winning lottery numbers, it's not much easier.

19. May 25, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

i dont know if your being serious or not but do you really think we're going to throw common sense aside and attack one of hte largest militarys on earth?

20. May 25, 2005 #19
    Well, Bush is the only major world leader who will meet with the Dalai Lama, and publicly give support for his people's cause.

Enlightened, virtuous and selfless Europe won't even receive the Dalai Lama for fear of upsetting totalitarian China, to whom they now want to sell arms with which to crush democratic Taiwan and further brutalize the people of Tibet (or what's left of it).

Yet they opposed the removal of a genocidal dictator on the basis of morality.

21. May 25, 2005 #20
    Well, of course all the fault of those europeans in particular frogs.
    If you wanna blame someone blame Nixon/Kissinger.
    Look also who is outsourcing most of the good paying jobs to China- Americans.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?