What is the current through the wire?

In summary, what is the total resistance of the two wires?"The total resistnace of the two wires is .28.
thisisfudd
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I did this right but it seemed abnormally easy so I wanted to check.

A 10-m length of wire consists of 5.0 m copper followed by 5.0 aluminum, both of diameter 1.0 mm. A voltage difference of 85 mV is placed across the wire. What is the total resistnace (sum) of the two wires? What is the current through the wire? What are the voltages across the alumnium part and across the copper part?

FYI Resistivity of copper = 1.68E-8, resistivity of aluminum = 2.45E-8

So for the first question I calculated the two resistances and added them using R = p (L/A), where that p is really a rho (resistivity)

I got Rcopper part = .11 = 1.68E-8 x 5.0 (pi x (5E-4)^2)
and Raluminum = .17 (calculated the same way, except with the rho of aluminum
Added together = .28

Then, for current I used V=IR so I = .3

And finally, I calculated I = .39 for copper and .25 for aluminum using V = IR again.

Is this really this simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
nope, "And finally, I calculated I = .39 for copper and .25 for aluminum using V = IR again"

Is wrong. Look into how current is effected in serial components.

The rest looks good enough for government work.

Hi,

I looked in my book and it doesn't say how current is affected in serial components. Is it proportional to the individual resistivity?

Recall that electric current is the flow of electrons. An Amp is defined as a fixed number of electrons flowing per second. Now assume that you have a wire with x Amps of current flowing. If you were able to watch them in any given second you would see x electrons per second pass through a cross section of the wire. Now if you were to watch an adjacent cross section you must see the same number of electrons pass, since you neither lose nor gain electrons at any point. You can apply this logic to every point in the series circuit to conclude that the current must be constant at all points of a wire.

Oh, wow, that makes total sense. Looking back at the question, I was supposed to do something with voltages. I am not sure I know whether the same would hold true for voltage that does for current?

You now know the current in the wire. You also know the resistance in each section of the wire, Apply Ohms Law to each type of wire to find the voltage drop. You should be able to opserve the relationship with the total voltage.

Sorry Integral, I'm an idiot and figured that out about a nanosecond after I posted. Now my stupidity is out there for all the world to see.

Fudd

1. What is the definition of current through a wire?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is a fundamental concept in electricity and magnetism.

2. How is current through a wire measured?

Current can be measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the wire. The ammeter measures the amount of current flowing through the wire in amperes.

3. What factors affect the current through a wire?

The current through a wire is influenced by several factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the wire, and the type of material the wire is made of. Changes in any of these factors can impact the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How does the current through a wire affect the wire itself?

The amount of current flowing through a wire can cause it to heat up, which can lead to melting or damage to the wire. This is why it is important to use the correct wire size and type for the amount of current being carried.

5. How does current through a wire relate to electrical circuits?

The current through a wire is a crucial component of an electrical circuit. It is the flow of current that allows electrical energy to be transferred from a power source to a load, such as a light bulb or an electronic device.