1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the decrease in kinetic energy during the collision?

1. Nov 13, 2003 #1
    Problem 25.
    A railroad car with a mass of 2.31*10^4kg moving at 3.59m/s collides
    and joins with two railroad cars already joined together, each with
    the same mass as the single car and initially noving in the same
    direction at 1.34m/s.
    b.What is the decrease in kinetic energy during the collision? Answer
    in units of J.
    Note: I find out that the final speed of the joined cars were 2.09m/s.
    When I found the difference of kinetic energy I found the final kinetic energy by multiplying .5(2.31*10^4)(2.09)^2 by 3 to get 151,354.665. As a result my answer was -38,981.25 which I found out was wrong. What did I do wrong?

Problem 15.
    Given: g=9.81m/s^2.
    A 2.22 kg ball is attached to a ceiling by a 1.39m long string. The
    height of the room is 3.60m. What is the gravational potential energy associated with the ball relative to
    a. the ceiling?
    Note:Would you use mgh=PE and have m=2.22 g=9.81 and h=3.60?
    c. a point at the same elevation as the ball?
    Note: How would you do it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Physics

For the first problem, your solution looks OK to me. You found the change in total KE; perhaps they wanted change in KE for the third car alone.

For the second problem, use PE = mgh, where h is measured from your reference point. Relative to the ceiling, h = - 1.39; relative to the height of the ball, h = 0.0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?