What is the derivative of 4x(16-x^2)^0.5?

• Thread starter Tiiba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative of 4x(16-x^2)^0.5 and its relevance to finding the dimensions of the largest inscribable rectangle in a circle with radius 4. The conversation also includes a mathematical proof that 0=16, which is incorrect.
Tiiba
I did this three times, and always come up with utter nonsense.

(Root of (16 minus x-squared) by 4x.) What are its zilches? How did you calculate that?

This derivative is part of the solution to this problem: "What are the dimentions of the largest rectangle (by area) inscribable in a circle with radius 4?"

I drew the circle and the square (see attachment), divided the square into four parts, drew a diagonal through one, and called it a hypotenuse, which is equal to 4. X and y are the sides of the mini squares. A = 4xy (since there are 4 mini-squares). Then I used Pythagoras to come up with that equation above. But I can't differentiate it now...

The final answer is supposed to be 32 square units.

Attachments

• galactica.gif
    galactica.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
you can differentiate it, just keep trying, or you could make your life easier: the maximizing the area is the same as maximizing the square of the area.

Tiiba said:
(Root of (16 minus x-squared) by 4x.) What are its zilches? How did you calculate that?

Use the product rule and chain rule. I'll get you started:

(d/dx)(4x(16-x^2)^0.5)=4((16-x^2)^0.5)+(4x)(...

As for the zeros, the only important one is 2(2)^.5

Tiiba said:
This derivative is part of the solution to this problem: "What are the dimentions of the largest rectangle (by area) inscribable in a circle with radius 4?"

matt grime is right, it ends up being a square, but you should start with a rectangle to prove it to yourself.

Tiiba said:
I drew the circle and the square (see attachment), divided the square into four parts, drew a diagonal through one, and called it a hypotenuse, which is equal to 4. X and y are the sides of the mini squares. A = 4xy (since there are 4 mini-squares). Then I used Pythagoras to come up with that equation above. But I can't differentiate it now...

Sure you can, finish the above differentiation, simplify and then find a root that makes sense in this problem. Use the root to find y and then you'll know the area (which is, as you stated, 32 square units).

Good Luck,

Kevin

homology said:
(d/dx)(4x(16-x^2)^0.5)=4((16-x^2)^0.5)+(4x)(...
(d/dx)(4x(16-x^2)^0.5)=4((16-x^2)^0.5) - (4x^2)(16-x^2)^.5 =

-4x^2
-------------- + 4sqrt(16-x^2) = 0;
sqrt(16-x^2)

4x^2
-------------- = 4sqrt(16-x^2) = 0;
sqrt(16-x^2)

4x^2 = 4(16-x^2)

x^2 = 16 - x^2

0 = 16 :yuck:

BTW, this means x = sqrt(16-x^2), which is y.
So x=y, and if this is a square, that's perfectly true.

So there you have it: a full mathematical proof that 0=16.

Last edited:
Tiiba said:
(d/dx)(4x(16-x^2)^0.5)=4((16-x^2)^0.5) - (4x^2)(16-x^2)^.5 =

-4x^2
-------------- + 4sqrt(16-x^2) = 0;
sqrt(16-x^2)
The above is good

4x^2 = 4(16-x^2)

x^2 = 16 - x^2
This is bad. "add" x^2 to both sides to get 2(x^2)=16 which yields x=2sqrt(2) and not 0=16
So there you have it: a full mathematical proof that 0=16.
So there you have it: a full mathematical proof that you can't add
:biggrin:

Cheers,

Kevin

You needed calculus to prove THAT?

God, I'm sure glad I'm not studying arithmetic any more.

Last edited:
10 = 2 really
I mean:

102=210

1*2^1+0*2^0=2*10^0

The derivative of 4x(16-x^2)^0.5 is 4(16-x^2)^0.5 - 4x^2(16-x^2)^-0.5.

How do you calculate the derivative of a square root function?

To calculate the derivative of a square root function, use the power rule and chain rule. First, bring the exponent of the function to the front and reduce it by 1. Then, multiply by the derivative of the inner function.

Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point.

Is the derivative of a constant always 0?

Yes, the derivative of a constant is always 0. This is because the slope of a constant function is always 0.

What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is used to find the slope of a tangent line, determine maximum and minimum points, and solve optimization problems.