Understanding Waveform & Autocorrelation in Pulse Lasers

In summary: Summary: The difference between a single wave with 400nm wavelength and two 800nm waves overlapped is that when two waves are overlapped, exactly half a wavelength apart, they will result in destructive interference and no intensity. This is not the case with a single wavelength.
Ted goldmund lee
So, I was working on autocorrelation for my pulse laser system and I started to wonder what is the difference between single wave with 400nm of wavelength and two 800nm waves overlapped.
In the knowledge, I know of, is that wavelength is the length between two picks.

And when it is pulse laser, often we use co-linear autocorrelation to obtain time width of our pulse. When I do this, how accurately I overlap two beams it shows 800nm not 400nm but in my dumb head I can't help but think this should be 400nm.

I know it is not 400nm because I saw it, but I just want to know what is the main difference.

Attachments

• d21.png
    d21.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 277
Science news on Phys.org
If you overlap two 800 nm waves, exactly half a wavelength apart, you will get destructive interference and no intensity. You will not get a wave of wavelength 400 nm.

Likes davenn
Ted goldmund lee said:
Summary: So, I was working on autocorrelation for my pulse laser system and I started to wonder what is the difference between single wave with 400nm of wavelength and two 800nm waves overlapped.
In the knowledge, I know of, is that wavelength is the length between two picks.

I'm confused- why do you associate a single wavelength with a laser pulse?

1. What is a waveform in pulse lasers?

A waveform in pulse lasers refers to the shape of the laser pulse over time. It can vary depending on the type of laser and its settings, but typically it consists of a rapid rise to a peak intensity, followed by a slower decay to zero intensity.

2. How does the waveform affect the performance of a pulse laser?

The waveform plays a crucial role in determining the characteristics of the laser pulse, such as its duration, energy, and peak power. These factors can affect the laser's ability to perform specific tasks, such as cutting, welding, or drilling.

3. What is autocorrelation in pulse lasers?

Autocorrelation is a technique used to measure the duration of a laser pulse by comparing it to a reference pulse. This method is based on the principle that the shape of the pulse is preserved when it is reflected back onto itself, allowing for accurate measurement of its duration.

4. How does autocorrelation help in understanding pulse lasers?

Autocorrelation is a valuable tool for understanding the characteristics of pulse lasers. By accurately measuring the duration of the laser pulse, it can provide insight into the laser's performance, including its peak power, energy, and stability.

5. Can understanding waveform and autocorrelation improve pulse laser technology?

Yes, understanding waveform and autocorrelation can lead to improvements in pulse laser technology. By accurately measuring and controlling the waveform, it is possible to optimize the laser's performance for specific applications. Additionally, advancements in autocorrelation techniques can lead to more precise and efficient measurement of laser pulses.