What is the difference between a wave and a field?

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just made the relationship between a wave and the medium (or field ?) clear to understand without any mathematics. The OP suggested that they are one and the same thing, I just gave an example to show that they are not.

In QM a particle is just an "excitation" in a field right ? Is that analogous to "disturbances" in my above example ?
The trouble is if you want a rigorous and definitive answer to the question, you need to include all facets. You can not avoid Maths if you want that.
What you have written can be enough for a ‘chat’ but how far is this thread supposed to take us?
You pays yer money and you takes yer pick in a question like this.
There is no all embracing answer, I think.

The trouble is if you want a rigorous and definitive answer to the question, you need to include all facets. You can not avoid Maths if you want that.
What you have written can be enough for a ‘chat’ but how far is this thread supposed to take us?
Well, looking at the OP and his arguments it was clear he was not into the math of the topic, so I gave a high school level answer, I don't know if your ink and letters analogy was directed at my post, did you find anything that didn't sound right ?

Rigorousness of answers should match the level of education of the OP, (but it's not always possible to know that before a few posts) or else he might be driven away....just my opinion.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
“Rigorousness” should be appropriate, as you say. But where rigour is missing I always feel that there should be strong caveats. Popular Science tends to be lacking in those and that degrades the perceived level of understanding involved.