Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the difference between cfd and realism?

Tags:
  1. Jan 2, 2018 #26

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think the problem is that Bohr hadn't a "translator" who transformed his ingenious insights to clear mathematical analyses. For Heisenberg that role has been played by Pauli. Pauli's and Heisenberg's approach to physics and their entire livestyle were indeed "complementary", and together they brougth (quantum) physics a huge step forward, while the entangled pair "Heisenberg-Bohr" amplified the mysticism of each other.

2. Jan 2, 2018 #27

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It's not better but fills the gaps in Weinberg's treatment. I've been always a bit mystified about the fact, why Weinberg doesn't even mention the problems addressed by Haag's theorem.

My present recommendation for how to learn relativistic QFT is

Start with working through M. Schwartz, QFT and the Standard Model to learn the physics and how to really calculate S-matrix elements, including renormalization. Then read Weinberg's books to understand why QFT looks the way it looks from the point of view of first principles (symmetries + causality requirements) and finally study Duncan for the finer details of the mathematics behind it, including all the trouble with LSZ, Haag, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted