Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between k-means clustering and minimum-variance quantization?

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I have a situation where I have a set of n data points and want to specify k values that best approximate the values in the set. (it's an image-color reduction problem)

MATLAB has a magic algorithm using something called minimum-variance quantization that will do this (although I can't find a description of how this actually works). I've also stumbled upon something called k-means clustering. What is the difference between these two or are they the same? Where might I be able to learn about these? I found some information describing k-means clustering, but I couldn't find anything on minimum-variance quantization.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook