What is the difference between the potential difference, and its emf?

In summary, the sloar cell generates a potential difference of 0.10V when a 500-Ohm resistor is connected across it and a potential difference of 0.16V when a 1000-Ohm resistor is substituted. The internal resistance and emf of the sloar cell are .10 and .16 volts, respectively. The area of the cell is 5.0 (cm^2). The efficiency of the cell for converting light energy to internal energy in the 1000-Ohm external resistor is .0002.
JaeSun
ok, i guess i didnt see this forum ... i posted in another forum my question:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7593

ok, I am taking engineering physics II ... unfortunately, I am forced to take this as part of my COMPUTER SCIENCE degree ... (why i have no idea..stupid, as i don't really care how many Newtons of force it takes me to push a key on the keyboard, and how much current it takes to go from the keyboard to the computer to put the key on the screen) ... sorry, just I am not the most science-oriented person. which is why I am not a computer engineer.

so i have a question.

the question on my homework is this:

A sloar cell generates a potential difference of 0.10V when a 500-Ohm resistor is connected across it and a potential difference of 0.16V when a 1000-Ohm resistor is substituted. What are (a) the internal resistance and (b) the emf of the sloar cell? (c) The area of the cell is 5.0 (cm^2). What is the efficiency of the cell for converting light energy to internal energy in the 1000-Ohm external resistor?

question. What is the difference between the potential difference, and its emf? i know V=IR . isn't the total V what comes out of the power source? and isn't the emf the power source? I'm lost on what this is.

also, for part c ... how would i approach in solving this? The chapter deals with the circuits, resistors, etc. but effeciency?

any help would be appreciated!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i know you guys don't just give answers...so I am hoping you can point me in right direction?

here is what I am thinking for (a) and (b) :

to find the internal resistance and emf, there are 2 variables, thus need 2 equations ...

so i set it up like this, according to the equations for internal resistance:

[del]V = ε * [ (R)/(R + r) ]

where R is the resistance of external circuit, and r is resistance of internal circuit. ***

***derived from V=IR , and for the internal resistance, I = ε/(R+r)

i guess since i have to find ε too, that i can use this equation.

i set-up two equations, according to what's given:

0.10V = ε [ (500)/(500+r) ]
0.16V = ε [ (1000)/(1000+r) ]

is that what i do? solve for one of the variables, input into the other?

i did that, and the math looks hard (hahaha).

using the first equation, and solving for ε , i get:

ε = .10 * [ (500+r)/500 ]

and inputting that into the other, makes it more confusing, to where i am stuck:

0.16 = [ ( 10 + r/50 ) ( 1 + 1000/r) ]
-or-
0.16 = 30 + 10,000/r + r/50

i am soooooooooooo lost. i have no idea if I am going in the right direction or not ??

HELP! this is due tomorrow!

We're just doing this now in my physics class too.

ε is the open circuit voltage. This is what the voltage drop across the power source would be when the current is zero (which is also what it would be if the internal resistance was zero).

That's where that formula you posted comes from -- in the form
ε = IR + Ir , where R is external resistance and r is internal resistance

But remember that ΔV, the net voltage drop across the source also equals the voltage drop across the external resistance so
ΔV = IR

So in your problem you can say
ΔV1 = .1V = I1R1
.1 = I1* 500Ω
I1 = .1/500 = .0002 A

and
ΔV2 = .16V = I2R2
.16 = I1* 1000Ω
I2 = .16/1000 = .00016 A

Now use the other equation
ε = IR + Ir
remembering that ε and r will be the same in both cases, so you can say
I1R1 + I1r = I2R2 + I2r
and solve for r.
And then you can solve for ε.

Then, as for the efficiency, I don't remember that being mentioned in class, and I don't see it in my textbook either. But I would guess that the efficiency is ΔV/ε. So, unless you come up with something more authoritative, I'd take a chance on that.

geez, never thought about solving the whole equation out and work from there...our book SUCKS, and it gave us that equation ... grrr...

i came out close though ... when i did it the long way, ε
came out as .2 , while doing it your way, was .4 ... it was close enough ...

thanks !

1. What is the difference between potential difference and emf?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, refers to the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts and determines the flow of electric current. On the other hand, emf, or electromotive force, refers to the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery, to establish an electric field. It is also measured in volts, but it is the force that drives the current through a circuit.

2. Can potential difference and emf be used interchangeably?

No, potential difference and emf are not interchangeable terms. While they are both measured in volts, they refer to different aspects of an electric circuit. Potential difference is the difference in energy between two points, while emf is the energy supplied by a source to establish an electric field.

3. How are potential difference and emf related?

Potential difference and emf are related in that they both measure the difference in energy between two points. However, emf takes into account the source of the energy, while potential difference does not. In other words, emf is the potential difference created by a source, such as a battery.

4. What factors affect potential difference and emf?

The main factor that affects potential difference and emf is the type and strength of the energy source. For example, a battery with a higher voltage will have a higher emf and potential difference. Other factors that may affect potential difference and emf include the material and distance between the two points in the circuit.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between potential difference and emf?

Understanding the difference between potential difference and emf is important for understanding how electric circuits work. It helps to know how energy is transferred and used in a circuit and how the source of the energy affects the overall circuit. This knowledge is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems and devices.