What is the difference btw 2 loops?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a conducting loop with charge distributed over a rotating loop and a stationary loop with current flowing around it. It is mentioned that they have the same effect when calculating magnetic force and field, but there are differences in terms of mechanical energy and charge density. The relationship between angular velocity and current is also mentioned, along with the importance of considering electric fields in the "charged ring" situation. The conversation ends with a question about how to calculate current using the amount of charge passing by a point during one revolution.
prodigy180
What is the difference btw 2 conducting loops?

Hello.

What is the difference between a conducting loop with charge q distributed over the loop that is rotating and a stationary loop with current flowing around the loop?

Do they have the same effect when it comes to calculating magnetic force and field?

If so how do you relate the angular velocity w to current I?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both have the same charge density and if the current is the same as the velocity of the particles in the rotating loop the magnetic filed will also be the same.

One difference though is when we consider a phsyical loop (made of, say, iron), it carries mass, so there is mechanical (rotational) energy in a rotating loop due to the whole loop moving, but with a current it's just the electrons moving.

Galileo said:
Both have the same charge density and if the current is the same as the velocity of the particles in the rotating loop the magnetic filed will also be the same.
I'd say they don't have the same charge density but the same current density. So they produce the same magnetic field, but the "charged ring" situation implies also an electric field which has to be considered when you compute the force on another charged particle.

About w and I: How much charge passes by at a point during one complete revolution? How long does this revolution take? Then [tex]I=\frac {\Delta Q} {\Delta t} [/tex]

Thank you guys!
I appreciate your help.

K.Kim

1. What is the difference between a for loop and a while loop?

A for loop is used for executing a set of statements a specific number of times, while a while loop is used for executing a set of statements as long as a certain condition is true.

2. Can you use a for loop and a while loop interchangeably?

No, for loops and while loops serve different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to choose the appropriate loop for the task at hand.

3. How do for and while loops differ in terms of syntax?

A for loop contains three parts - an initialization, a condition, and an increment/decrement statement, while a while loop only has a condition. This means that a for loop may be more concise for iterating over a specific range of values.

4. Which loop is more efficient - for or while?

Neither loop is inherently more efficient. The efficiency depends on the specific task and how it is implemented within the loop.

5. When should I use a do-while loop?

A do-while loop is used when you want to execute a set of statements at least once, regardless of whether the condition is initially true or false. It is useful for input validation or menu-driven programs.