What is the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

In summary, the two students on the balcony throw balls downwards and upwards at the same speed, with the second ball just missing the balcony. The balls spend 0.800 seconds in the air, and the differences in time the balls spend in the air are: a - the first ball spends 0.800 seconds in the air before it hits the ground, while the second ball spends 0.800 seconds in the air before it hits the ground; b - the first ball has a velocity of 14.7 m/s while the second ball has a velocity of 19.6 m/s; c - the balls are 0.800 seconds apart when they are thrown.
holly111
I have been working on this alllll night PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! I never ask for help with this stuff but i really need help with this. I don't understand how to do these problems and i have 5 others. They all go something like this:

Two students are on a balcony 19.6 meters above the street. one student throws a ball vertically downward at 14.7 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball vertically upward at the same speed. The second ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

a. What is the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

b. What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?

c. How far apart are the balls 0.800s after they are thrown?

I've done all this:

s = d t = d d = s
- -
t s

a i t = d = 19.6
- -----
s 14.7

ii = 19.6 + 2x
---------

i don't understand how high the second ball i just don't know how to get the (x)

please help with this, i know I'm doing it all totally wrong.

Hollyxxx

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\begin{align*}
Part\ (a)\\
s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2\\
y_1=-14.7t_1 -\frac{g}{2}t_1^2\ \ \ ...(1) \ where\ g=9.81\ m/s^2\ and\ t_1\ is\ the\ time\ ball\ 1\ spends\ in\ the\ air \ before\ hitting\ the\ street\\
y_2=14.7t_2 -\frac{g}{2}t_2^2\ ...(2)\ where\ t_2\ is\ the\ time\ ball\ 2\ spends\ in\ the\ air\ before\ hitting\ the\ street\\
y_1=y_2=-19.6\ m\\
Solve\ for\ (2)-(1).\\ \\
Part\ (b) \\
Use \ v^2=u^2+2as\\ \\
Part\ (c)\\
Use\ equation\ (1)\ and\ (2)\ but\ use\ common\ t\ now\ which\ means\ for\ any\ given\ t,\ what\ are\ their\ positions\ relative\ to\ the\ balcony.\\
Use\ |y_2-y_1|;\ the\ modulus\ sign\ gives\ the\ distance\ which\ is\ a\ scalar.
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Attachments

• Explain.gif
    Explain.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
here is a hint, use the equation: [tex] d = v_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]. and follow what Leong did.

Thank you so much

I want to thank both Leong and Nenad!

Thank you both so much i apresiate your help greatly!

*hugs to you both*

:D Holly :D

1. What factors affect the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

The factors that affect the difference in time the balls spend in the air include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and mass of the ball.

2. How does the initial velocity affect the time the balls spend in the air?

The initial velocity determines how fast the ball is moving when it is launched. The higher the initial velocity, the longer the ball will stay in the air because it will have more momentum to counteract the force of gravity.

3. Why does the angle of projection affect the time the balls spend in the air?

The angle of projection determines the direction of the initial velocity. When the angle is increased, the horizontal component of the initial velocity also increases, resulting in a longer time in the air as the ball covers more distance before hitting the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect the time the balls spend in the air?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of the ball, reducing its velocity. This means that the ball will take a longer time to reach the ground, resulting in a longer time in the air.

5. Why does the mass of the ball affect the time it spends in the air?

The mass of the ball affects the time it spends in the air because it determines its inertia. A heavier ball will have a greater resistance to change in motion, so it will stay in the air longer compared to a lighter ball with the same initial velocity and angle of projection.