What is the difference between table salt and table sugar dissolving in water?

• Thread starter kassandra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between table salt and table sugar dissolving in water, and the potential toxicity of these substances. The participants suggest researching the effects of temperature and saturation levels on the solutions, as well as the LD50 system. They also mention that while salt can be toxic in large doses, it is still necessary for our bodies. The conversation ends with praise for the expert's response and the idea of steering someone towards an answer rather than providing a final solution.
kassandra
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between table salt disolving in water and table sugar disolving in water? This is something that came up in my Bio 12 class when we were talking about acids and bases and the Bronset Lowry Theory.

Im guessing that the answer is nothing...there is no difference but I highly doubt that I am right.

Biology news on Phys.org
Look into how temperature affects the saturation level of the two solutions and how well the two solutions conduct electricity.

Also, you can drink only one of them without getting sick. Why?

Because salt is sodium and chloride (NaCl); both are far more toxic to humans than carbon, hydrogen and oxygen (C6H12O6).

Granted, we eat a little salt, and our bodies actually need it. But the toxicologist's credo is "the dose maketh the poison." Any substance, in sufficiently large doses, can become toxic.

More information can be obtained by doing some research concerning LD50; that is, the amount of a substance which can be considered to be a lethal dose for 50 percent of all subjects that receive it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rogue; that was a good response. Actually, though, the question was just a pointer to another avenue of research for Kassandra.

Oh. Sorry; I didn't realize. But it doesn't answer it all, and introduces the LD50 system, so that should also be helpful to research, so I wasn't a complete knucklehead there.

I hope, anyway...

Not at all. I did the same thing several times before I got used to the idea that PF policy is to steer someone toward an answer rather than spoon-feed a final solution. You're going to be quite valuable here. :smile:

1. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about the outcome of an experiment or observation. It is usually based on limited evidence and is subject to testing and revision. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-established and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon. It is supported by a large body of evidence and has been rigorously tested and verified.

2. What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data is descriptive in nature and is gathered through observations and interviews. It is subjective and can vary depending on the researcher's interpretation. Quantitative data, on the other hand, is numerical and can be measured and analyzed using statistical methods. It is objective and less prone to interpretation.

3. What is the difference between a control group and an experimental group?

A control group is a group in an experiment that does not receive the treatment or intervention being tested. It serves as a baseline for comparison with the experimental group, which receives the treatment. The control group allows researchers to isolate the effects of the treatment and determine if it has any significant impact.

4. What is the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value. It is a measure of correctness. Precision, on the other hand, refers to how close a series of measurements are to each other. It is a measure of consistency. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

5. What is the difference between a dependent and independent variable?

A dependent variable is the variable that is being measured in an experiment. It is affected by the independent variable, which is the variable that is being manipulated by the researcher. The independent variable is the presumed cause, while the dependent variable is the effect that is being studied.