What is the distance of the image?

• Thread starter brayrbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the distance of the image is found to be 7.66cm using the equation 1/object-mirror distance + 1/image-mirror distance= 1/mirror's focal length. The image is real and inverted since it is located farther than the focal point. When the image is closer than the focal point, it is virtual and upright. It is important to remember that magnification is Di/Do in these calculations.
brayrbob
An object is located 19.5 cm from a converging mirror with a focal length of 5.5 cm. What is the distance of the image? Is it real or virtual? Is it smaller or larger than the object? Is it upright or inverted?
This is the equation I need to use for the problem
1/object-mirror distance + 1/image-mirror distance= 1/mirror"s focal lenth to solve for image-mirror distance
This is how I solved for the problem
1/image-mirror distance = 1/5.5 - 1/19.5 = .1305361305 then I have to find the reciprocal which is 1/.1305361305 = 7.660714288 or 7.66cm
Have I solved this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's farther than the focal point, which immediately tells you that it's real and inverted.

but i believe you have solved correctly
remember, magnification is Di/Do

Okay, then when it's closer than the focal point, does that mean that it's virtual and upright?

1. What is the definition of distance of an image?

The distance of an image refers to the physical distance between the object and the image formed by a lens or mirror.

2. How is the distance of an image calculated?

The distance of an image is calculated using the thin lens equation, which is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

3. What factors affect the distance of an image?

The distance of an image is affected by the focal length of the lens or mirror, the distance of the object from the lens or mirror, and the refractive index of the medium the light is passing through.

4. What is the difference between object distance and image distance?

The object distance is the distance between the object and the lens or mirror, while the image distance is the distance between the lens or mirror and the image formed. The image distance is always measured from the lens or mirror, while the object distance can vary.

5. How does the distance of an image impact the size of the image?

The distance of an image is directly proportional to the size of the image, meaning that as the distance increases, the size of the image decreases and vice versa. This is known as the inverse square law of light.