What is the distance to the nearest star?

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is the distance to the nearest star? Is the nearst star Proxima Centauri (and it being 4.3 lightyearsaway)? Whats the Distance across a galaxy and the size of te observable Universe? :bugeye:

Answers and Replies

Labguy
Science Advisor
MightyMeanie said:
What is the distance to the nearest star? Is the nearst star Proxima Centauri (and it being 4.3 lightyearsaway)? Whats the Distance across a galaxy and the size of te observable Universe? :bugeye:
The first part of you question is answered here:

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/12lys.html

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hurkyl said:
en.wikipedia.org is often a good reference for lots of things. I entered "observable universe" into its search function, and it gives this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

thanks, i didnt know about wikipedia :approve: i've added it to my favourites thanks x

hellfire
Science Advisor
From wikipedia:
The present distance (comoving distance) to the edge of the observable universe is larger, since the universe has been expanding; it is estimated to be about 78 billion light years
This is wrong. In the current cosmological model the edge of the observable universe would be located at about 46 billion lightyears.

Last edited:
amt
I was reading a book today which mentioned 78 billion light years.

ohwilleke
Gold Member
To paraphrase Asimov, differences of less than a factor of ten are rarely important, except in the matter of salaries where factors of two matter.