1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the distribution of the euclidean distance between two random points in 2D

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    I would like to know the distribution of z as the euclidean distance between 2 points which are not centred in the origin. If I assume 2 points in the 2D plane A(Xa,Ya) and B(Xb,Yb), where the Xa~N(xa,s^2), Xb~N(xb,s^2), Ya~N(ya,s^2), Yb~N(yb,s^2), then the distance between A and B, would be z=sqrt[(Xa-Xb)^2 + (Ya-Yb)^2]. Now: X=Xa-Xb and Y=Ya-Yb are themselves RVs with means (xb-xa) and (yb-ya) and variance 2s^2, so the problem that I have is determining the pdf of z=sqrt(X^2 +Y^2), knowing that X and Y are 2 uncorrelated Gaussian RVs with NON-ZERO MEANS and the same variance, 2s^2.

The Rician distribution applies when z is the distance from the origin to a bivariate RV. This has been proven only when the RVs (a and b) are CIRCULAR bivariate RVS (proof here -> Chapter 13, subchapter 13.8.2, page 680, of Mathematical Techniques for Engineers and Scientists - Larry C. Andrews, Ronald L. Phillips - 2003). I would like to know the pdf/cdf of z as a distance between two points (none of them being centred in the origin) when they are not circular. Is there a known parametric distribution for z? What would this distribution look like if it is a generalized form of the Rician distribution?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What is the distribution of the euclidean distance between two random points in 2

I suspect that the distribution could be transformed to the Rician by first transforming from the x and y means to the center and then scaling using the variances, so that an ellipse becomes a circle.

Note: I have not tried to work it out, but my intuition tells me it should work.

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Re: What is the distribution of the euclidean distance between two random points in 2

X and Y are two independent normally distributed random variables with the same variance. If you transform coordinates to make (xb-xa,yb-ya) the origin, then you would have a Rayleigh distribution.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

Thank you for your replies, but I am not looking to obtain a Rician distribution. I would like to know the distribution of z, in the given conditions, without making any transformations or other assumptions.

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5

Hi there! I have managed to find out that indeed a transformation is needed into polar coordinates. Rotating the mean distance z with a θ angle and using the appropriate notation will results in proving that z is Ricianly distributed. Thanks guys for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook