Doppler Effect Explained: What Is It?

• Thread starter DrPhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doppler
In summary, the Doppler Effect is the change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This results in a drop in frequency as the source moves away from the observer and an increase in frequency as the source moves towards the observer. This phenomenon can also be observed with atoms and is caused by length contraction. There are various visualizations and explanations available, such as the animation provided in the conversation.
DrPhy
I know its to do with the drop of frequency when the object that is making the noise passes you, but what exactly is it? I don't know much about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrPhy said:
I know its to do with the drop of frequency when the object that is making the noise passes you, but what exactly is it? I don't know much about it.

not just the drop in freq, but also the increase in freq as the object is moving towards you

Anyway reading Doc Al's link should clarify things for you

Dave

Does anyone know much about how atoms are effected by the Doppler effect as they move...or as something moves towards them?

I've been trying to visualise it. Like as a photon approaches an atom, the atom seems flat to the photon. I've been thinking about electrons too.

Sounds like a separate thread there krd.
How about starting one and pinging me to reply?

Hint:
when you use length contraction - all of space gets flattened, not just objects in space.

Good find alextx - wikipedia also has a bunch of them.

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that explains the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect works by compressing the waves in front of a moving source, causing an increase in frequency, and stretching the waves behind the source, causing a decrease in frequency. This change in frequency is what is perceived as a change in pitch or frequency by an observer.

3. What causes the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between a source of waves and an observer. This can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

4. How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect is used in various real life applications, such as in weather radar to detect the speed and direction of moving precipitation, in medical ultrasound to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects.

5. Can the Doppler Effect be observed with all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, mechanical waves, and even matter waves. However, the magnitude of the effect may vary depending on the speed of the source and the medium through which the wave is traveling.