What is the English word for this type of diagram used in electronics?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: Page 7 is a timing diagram of how relay logic works. It starts with the main power to the relay on Vcc. The relay works on Vcc and Gnd and has a set of contacts that it opens and closes to control the power to devices connected to it. There is also a sensor that tells the relay when the power has been turned off.
TSN79
Quite a simple question really; I'm just learning about some simple electronics, the link below is an exam from Norway. On page 4 there is a figure. I am simply wondering what this type of diagram, schematic or whatever is called in english? Knowing the english word would make it so much easier for me to find information about it on the web...

www.hist.no/aft/iet/elkraft/pls/eksamensoppgaver/eksopp091202.pdf

As long as I'm here, what is the R and S (top and bottom) on this figure? Do they stand for something? If you know of any sites where I can learn the basics of this type of diagram I would surely appreciate it, thx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I know, I don't think there is a specific name for that. The figure in page 4 looks like a circuit schematic. The one on page 7 is a timing diagram. R and S indicate two different potentials (voltages) driving the circuit. Usually Vcc and Vee or ground. The various elements are switches, implemented using transistors. I think it's more about understanding what the circuit does rather than how to use the schematic.

I would call the diagram on page 4, ladder logic. Generally they are show rotated 90deg with the power rails (R and S) running up the sides of the page. What is shown is a single "rung" of the ladder logic diagram. This is usually the starting point for creating a PLC program to control devices like the pneumatic schematic shown on page 1

The ladder logic is on page 3 of that text. Page 4 looks like some kind of cross between ladder logic and some sort of circuit diagram. I'd tend towards the latter. From what I can gather, it looks like (since I see the word motor in the question) it's some kind of circuit for controlling the direction of rotation of a motor. I'll have to ask some of the spark heads here to see if it looks like a familiar format.

I'd say it's just a schematic. I don't know what the R and S stand for. K is often used as representative for a relay. S is for switch. The very top S is what looks to me to be a thermal overload switch commonly used on magnetic motor starters. The main motor current goes through a heating element. There is a bimetalic strip or something close to the element that moves when it is heated that is connected to the switch contacts. When the switch contacts open current is interrupted to a part of the circuit that controls the contactor that passes current to the motor. Is the schematic on this page part of something much larger? Have to brush up on my norwegian. Too bad all of my norwegian ancestors are gone.

Relay logic

It is circuit diagram of relay logic, same as ladder diagram. It is European style of drawing of both, essentially same as in US, just turned 90º. Simbols for contacts and coils are different too.

R and S are the 24vdc supply and ground. Page 4 diagram is a start/stop circuit for starting either of two motors, but not at the same time (S1 and S2). To stop, press S0.

1. What is the origin of the English word?

The English language has a complex history and has been influenced by various languages including Latin, Greek, French, and German. The ancient Germanic language spoken by the Anglo-Saxons is considered to be the basis of English, with the addition of words and grammar from other languages over time.

2. How many words are in the English language?

The Oxford English Dictionary contains over 170,000 words in current use, with an additional 47,000 obsolete words. However, it is estimated that there are over 1 million words in the English language, including technical terms and slang.

3. What is the difference between a word and a term in English?

A word is a single unit of language that has meaning and can stand alone. A term, on the other hand, is a word or phrase that is specific to a particular subject or field of study. Terms often have a specific meaning in a certain context, while words can have multiple meanings depending on usage.

4. How are new words added to the English language?

New words are constantly being added to the English language through various processes such as borrowing from other languages, creating compound words, and coining new terms. The Oxford English Dictionary also regularly adds new words to its database based on their frequency and widespread usage in the English language.

5. Why is English considered a difficult language to learn?

English is considered difficult to learn because it has a large vocabulary, complex grammar rules, and irregular spelling and pronunciation. Additionally, English has many idiomatic expressions and slang that can be difficult for non-native speakers to understand. However, with practice and exposure, English can be mastered like any other language.