What is the enthelpy of combustion of magnesium?

In summary, the enthalpy of combustion of magnesium can be calculated by finding the enthalpy of formation of magnesium oxide, which can be found in a chart or online. The answer is -601 kJ.
rum2563
[SOLVED] What is the enthalpy of combustion of magnesium?

Homework Statement

Determine the enthalpy of combustion of Magnesium.

Mg + 1/2O2 --> MgO

magnesium + half oxygen -> magnesium oxide.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to calculate this since I don't know where to start. Is there a specific value for this? Or, is there a way we could get these values from a chart or somewhere?

I need help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Review the definition of heat of formation and then reexamine your combustion equation.

rum2563 said:
Is there a specific value for this?
They should be at the back of your book or try the Index if all fails.

Thanks very much guys for your responses. I found it on the net and basically I had to look for enthalpy of formation of MgO to get my answer. It's -601 kJ.

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the heat content of a system at constant pressure.

2. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction in which a substance combines with oxygen, releasing energy in the form of heat and light.

3. Why is magnesium commonly used in combustion reactions?

Magnesium is commonly used in combustion reactions because it has a high enthalpy of combustion, meaning it releases a large amount of energy when it reacts with oxygen.

4. What factors affect the enthalpy of combustion of magnesium?

The enthalpy of combustion of magnesium can be affected by factors such as the amount of oxygen present, the temperature of the reaction, and the physical state of the magnesium (powder vs. solid).

5. How is the enthalpy of combustion of magnesium calculated?

The enthalpy of combustion of magnesium can be calculated by measuring the change in temperature of the reaction and using the equation q = mCΔT, where q is heat energy, m is the mass of the magnesium, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.