What is the expansion postulate

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary: The postulate states that any wavefunction describing a possible state of a quantum system can be written as a linear combination of eigenfunctions of a linear hermitian operator. This means that these eigenfunctions form a complete basis set for the Hilbert space. For operators with a discrete eigenvalue spectrum, the wavefunction can be expressed as a sum of these eigenfunctions, while for operators with a continuous eigenvalue spectrum, it can be expressed as an integral. The coefficients of these eigenfunctions can be found using Fourier analysis. The expansion postulate applies to all hermitian operators, not just the Hamiltonian operator.
Definition/Summary

The Expansion Postulate is a fundamental postulate in the formalism of quantum mechanics which states that any wavefunction that describes a possible state of a quantum system can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of a linear hermitian operator.

Mathematically, this means that these eigenfunctions form a complete basis set for the Hilbert space.

Equations

For operators with a discrete eigenvalue spectrum:

[tex]\psi(x)=\sum_i C_i \phi_i(x)[/tex]

where the [itex]\phi_i[/itex]'s are the eigenfunctions.

The coefficients, [itex]C_i[/itex], are:

[tex] C_i = \int \phi_i^*(x) \psi(x) dx [/tex]

For operators with a continuous eigenvalue spectrum:

[tex]\psi (x)=\int C_{x_o}\delta (x_o- x) dx_o[/tex]

In Dirac notation:

[tex]|\psi>=|\psi_i><\psi|\phi_i>[/tex]

Extended explanation

The expansion postulate is encountered frequently when doing quantum mechanics.

We have a quantum system in a general state described by the wavefunction [itex]\psi (x)[/itex]. Assuming we know the potential the system is in, we can solve the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the energy eigenstates of the system, [itex]\phi_i (x)[/itex]. The general state of the system can then be expressed as:

[tex]\psi(x)=\sum_i C_i \phi_i(x)[/tex]

This is the expansion postulate in action. Furthermore, if we know the wavefunction describing the initial state, Fourier analysis can be used to find expressions for the coefficients, [itex]C_i[/itex]. Specifically,

[tex] C_i = <\psi|\phi_i> = \int \phi_i^*(x) \psi(x) dx [/tex]

Now, any measurement of an observable of the system, even if it is in a general state as above, will always return an eigenvalue of the operator corresponding to the observable. In our case above, any measurement of the energy of the system in state [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] will force the system to collapse into one of the energy eigenstates. The probability the the system will collapse into the ith energy state, i.e. return the ith energy eigenvalue upon measurement is given by [itex]|C_i|^2[/itex].

Let's consider a standard example- a particle in an infinite square well:

The eigenfunctions of the time independent Schrodinger equation, i.e. the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator, are:

[tex]\phi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})[/tex]

where [itex]n=1,2,3,...[/itex]

Let's assume the particle is in some general state, [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. This state can be expressed as:

[tex]\psi (x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_n \sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})[/tex]

If we knew the closed form for [itex]\psi (x)[/itex], we could find the coefficents:

[tex]C_n=\int\psi (x)\sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) dx[/tex]

The expansion postulate applies to eigenfunctions of all hermitian operators, not just the Hamiltonian operator.

For instance, consider the eigenfunctions of a spin 1/2 particle (expressed as matrices):

[tex]|\uparrow>=\left(\begin{array}{c} 1\\ 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex]|\downarrow>=\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Both of these are eigenfunctions of the z spin operator:

[tex]S_z = \hbar\left(\begin{array}{cc}1/2&0\\0&-1/2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Thus, any general spin state the particle can be in can be expressed as:

[tex]|\psi>=a|\uparrow>+b|\downarrow>[/tex]

where [itex]|a|^2[/itex] and [itex]|b|^2[/itex] are the probabilities that a measurement of the particles spin will return spin up or spin down, respectively.

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the overview of expansion postulate

What is the expansion postulate?

The expansion postulate, also known as the cosmological principle, is a fundamental concept in modern cosmology that states the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. This means that on a large scale, the universe looks the same in all directions and at all locations.

How does the expansion postulate relate to the Big Bang theory?

The expansion postulate is a key component of the Big Bang theory. It explains how the universe expanded and evolved from a single, dense point during the early stages of its formation. The expansion postulate also helps to explain the observed redshift of galaxies, which provides evidence for the expansion of the universe.

What evidence supports the expansion postulate?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the expansion postulate is the observed redshift of distant galaxies. This redshift is caused by the stretching of light waves as the universe expands. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang, supports the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe.

Are there any alternative theories to the expansion postulate?

While the expansion postulate is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the evolution of the universe, there are some alternative theories, such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating universe theory. However, these theories are not as well-supported by evidence as the expansion postulate.

How does the expansion postulate impact our understanding of the universe?

The expansion postulate has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It has led to the development of the Big Bang theory and has helped us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the origins and fate of the universe.