What is the Extinction Ratio?

In summary: B.In summary, an extinction ratio is a measure of the power loss in a fiber optic communication system when transmitting a binary "1" as a higher power level than a "0". It is a simplification of two people shouting down a hallway and is measured in dB.
JPBenowitz
I am a little bit confused on what an extinction ratio is. I am looking at optical specs and it keeps on coming up. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me and perhaps provide a mathematical background thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
When laser diodes are used to transmit binary data (fiber optic communications), a "1" is transmitted as a higher optical power level than the "0". The extinction ratio is simply the ratio of these two power levels:

[tex]Extinction Ratio = \frac{logic 1 power}{logic 0 power}[/tex]

Last edited:
the_emi_guy said:
When laser diodes are used to transmit binary data (fiber optic communications), a "1" is transmitted as a higher optical power level than the "0". The extinction ratio is simply the ratio of these two power levels:

[tex]Extinction Ratio = \frac{logic 1 power}{logic 0 power}[/tex]

So a 1000:1 extinction ratio is simply that for every 1000 bits transmitted 1 bit is lost due to a loss in power?

No.

First an extinction ratio of 1000 (30dB) would not be normal. Let's take a more normal situation with a ratio of 10.

Laser is transmitting 1mW for logic 1.
Laser is transmitting 100uW for logic 0.
Extinction ratio is 10.

the_emi_guy said:
No.

First an extinction ratio of 1000 (30dB) would not be normal. Let's take a more normal situation with a ratio of 10.

Laser is transmitting 1mW for logic 1.
Laser is transmitting 100uW for logic 0.
Extinction ratio is 10.

I understand that but what does that entail for the bits of information? A ratio of 1000 is a loss in signal of 30dB?

JPBenowitz said:
I understand that but what does that entail for the bits of information? A ratio of 1000 is a loss in signal of 30dB?

Not loss of signal.

This is an example of AM (amplitude modulation). Do you know what a Modulation Depth is? If you look that up, the Extinction Ratio should make more sense.

JPBenowitz said:

The bits of information are encoded as optical power level.

Think of ordinary electrical digital logic. A TTL device encodes logic 1 as >2.2V and logic 0 as <0.8V. An ECL device encodes logic 1 as -0.9V and logic 0 as -1.7V.

Binary digits are encoded on a fiber optic cable as logic 1 and logic 0 optical power levels. (This is a gross oversimplification, I am trying to convey the basic idea).

Last edited:
Simplification looks in order here...??

It's more like two people talking at some distance, say shouting down a hallway:
IF:
A loud shout is a "1"
and a soft shout is a "0"
(and heaven only knows why they're talking in binary).
A loud shout might be 10X louder than a soft one which would be an extinction ratio of 10,
but that says nothing about how many soft shouts were mistaken for loud ones , or were not heard at all.

db comes from the unit BEL, after Alexander Graham.
A bel is the logarithm of ratio between two powers, log(P2/P1).
A decibel is a tenth of a bel, 10X log (P2/P1)

1. What is the extinction ratio?

The extinction ratio is a measurement used to describe the difference in power between the maximum and minimum levels of a light source. It is commonly used in the field of optics and telecommunications to quantify the contrast or strength of an optical signal.

2. How is the extinction ratio calculated?

The extinction ratio is calculated by dividing the power of the maximum or "on" state of the light source by the power of the minimum or "off" state. This ratio is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and can range from 0 dB, representing no extinction or perfect contrast, to infinity, representing infinite extinction or no contrast.

3. Why is the extinction ratio important?

The extinction ratio is important because it provides a measure of the quality of an optical signal. A higher extinction ratio indicates a stronger and more reliable signal, while a lower ratio may result in errors or loss of data. It is also used as a performance metric for optical devices and systems.

4. What factors can affect the extinction ratio?

The extinction ratio can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the light source, the stability of the optical components, and the detection and measurement equipment used. It can also be impacted by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and noise in the environment.

5. How is the extinction ratio used in real-world applications?

The extinction ratio is used in a variety of real-world applications, including telecommunications, fiber optic communication systems, and optical networking. It is also used in optical measurements and testing, as well as in the development and optimization of optical devices and systems.