What is the fascination of chewing gum

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, people generally like those who chew gum. This is because it has many benefits, such as reducing stress levels, improving concentration, and keeping teeth and gums clean.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I was in a restaurant the other day with my GF her daughter and a six yr old boy, as lads do he was sitting on the floor under the table (bad manners yes but the boy has the mental age of three yr old.) any way he was very quite and we wondered why , he was picking gum from under the table, how filthy can some people be sticking their gum on there in the first place, i have never known why people chew gum it is a terrible habit.

Likes Silicon Waffle and S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
Your post reminded me that the theory of elasticity is one of those classical topics that one day I would still like to learn more about. So, something good came out of gum chewing.

Krylov said:
Your post reminded me that the theory of elasticity is one of those classical topics that one day I would still like to learn more about. So, something good came out of gum chewing.
Glad that you said it before me. I wanted to say something similar but more about hard plastic. I love chewing gums, the harder the gum is the better and more it will help improve my facial muscles and aesthetics in general.
Here is the information.

Silicon Waffle said:
Glad that you said it before me. I wanted to say something similar but more about hard plastic. I love chewing gums, the harder the gum is the better and more it will help improve my facial muscles and aesthetics in general.
Here is the information.

Do your muscles need improving?i am sure i could find other ways to improve them, any way i bet you do not need it.

wolram said:
Do your muscles need improving?i am sure i could find other ways to improve them, any way i bet you do not need it.
Definitely, I always need to improve mine badly.

I started wondering whether there are any people who inject anabolic steroids in their jaw muscles?

Likes wolram
So some people like chewing gumo0) but do they have to leave the remnants all over the place.

Likes S.G. Janssens and Silicon Waffle
Krylov said:
I started wondering whether there are any people who inject anabolic steroids in their jaw muscles?
I'm glad if I could. :approve:

Silicon Waffle said:
I'm glad if I could.
It wouldn't be good for you, Mr. Waffle. Please remain aesthetic as well as healthy.

Likes Silicon Waffle
wolram said:
So some people like chewing gumo0) but do they have to leave the remnants all over the place.
I suspect subconscious territory marking behaviour (much like a dog taking a leak all over the place) possibly linked to recessive genes left over from an ancient primate ancestor. In some people.

Silicon Waffle said:
Here is the information.

And that is a minor benefit compared to the real benefit of chewing gum after a meal
This being that it produces saliva and results in natural cleaning of teeth and gums
benefit being ... fewer dental visits ... money saved :smile:Dave

Likes Silicon Waffle
Somehow every table in college has many wads of gum underneath it, very gross

Likes Silicon Waffle
yeah totally disgusting :frown::frown:

davenn said:
yeah totally disgusting :frown::frown:
?:):DD

I've never seen chewing gum stuck to any surface before, at least not in my country. I'm from Singapore, which you all know to be 'anti-gum', so you get penalised for selling gum or depositing chewed gum in the wrong places. The law doesn't mind you bringing gum in or enjoying it, just don't stick gum under the table. :oldbiggrin:

It might improve your concentration, lower stress levels and freshen your breath.
Sticking them under table or any other surface than trash bin is disgusting

lordianed said:
I've never seen chewing gum stuck to any surface before, at least not in my country. I'm from Singapore, which you all know to be 'anti-gum', so you get penalised for selling gum or depositing chewed gum in the wrong places. The law doesn't mind you bringing gum in or enjoying it, just don't stick gum under the table. :oldbiggrin:
Can you get caned by authorities for sticking gum somewhere or for littering the streets with it there in Singapore?

WWGD said:
Can you get caned by authorities for sticking gum somewhere or for littering the streets with it there in Singapore?
No, at least no one has been caned yet. It is a very common myth that you can be caned for chewing gum in Singapore, in reality you'll only be fined for sticking gum where it should not be. Wikipedia even has a whole article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore

People, in general, will like you more, if you chew gum.

Though, this video was produced by a chewing gum company, so, maybe not.

Likes Silicon Waffle
OmCheeto said:
People, in general, will like you more, if you chew gum.

Though, this video was produced by a chewing gum company, so, maybe not.

A straight face can't attract me either. The moving of the jaw may be the core of the attraction power, which gives me the impression that the one in front of me may be trying to say "Hey, it's cool, come on over, I have cookies and tea for you".
By the way I do chew gum, and already registered that on PF.

phinds said:
Small amounts under a table are nothing compared to this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=che...oTCNfoi-aAlckCFcxJJgodLfwEMw&biw=1123&bih=488

The narrow alleyway pictures are from San Luis Obispo. I've been there. Seeing that made my life so much fuller.

More importantly, chewing gum is a great way to exercise your face. Not as good as watching Jack Lalanne, though. His face exercises are even better than chewing gum (and the organist accompanying this is... what's the word? Great? Mmm, maybe that's not quite the word I was thinking of, but it is a word).

Likes S.G. Janssens and OmCheeto

What is chewing gum?

Chewing gum is a type of soft, rubbery substance that is designed to be chewed but not swallowed. It is typically made from a combination of natural and synthetic materials, such as rubber, resin, and wax. Chewing gum comes in various flavors and is often used as a breath freshener or for oral hygiene purposes.

What makes chewing gum so fascinating?

The fascination with chewing gum is largely due to its unique texture and ability to provide oral stimulation. The act of chewing gum can also have a calming effect on the mind and helps to relieve stress or anxiety. Additionally, the wide variety of flavors and the convenience of being able to carry and use it anywhere adds to its appeal.

Is chewing gum harmful to your health?

Chewing gum is generally considered safe for consumption in moderation. However, it is important to note that some types of gum may contain artificial sweeteners or other ingredients that could be harmful if consumed in large quantities. It is always best to read the ingredients label and consume chewing gum in moderation.

How long has chewing gum been around?

The act of chewing gum has been around for thousands of years, dating back to ancient civilizations such as the Greeks and Mayans. However, modern chewing gum as we know it was first developed in the late 1800s by a man named Thomas Adams, who used chicle (a natural gum base) as the main ingredient.

What is the process of making chewing gum?

The process of making chewing gum involves mixing and heating the gum base, adding sweeteners and flavors, and then shaping and packaging the gum. This process may vary depending on the specific ingredients and production methods used by different gum manufacturers.