What is the final temp. of each liquid?

In summary, two beakers, A and B, containing 100.00 mL of liquid Mercury and Water respectively, were placed on a hot plate at 25 degrees celsius and each absorbed 15 KJ of heat. The question is asking for the final temperature of each liquid, using the formula q=mcΔt where q is heat flow in joules, m is mass in grams, c is the specific heat capacity, and t is the temperature in °C. The issue may be with using the correct value for the specific heat capacity of each liquid and properly converting the energy unit.
BJN153
You place 2 beakers at 25 degrees celsius on a hot plate.
Beaker A = 100.00 mL liquid Mercury
Beaker B = 100.00 mL liquid Water
Each absorb 15 KJ of heat.
What is the final temp. of each liquid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you attempted the problem? Keep in mind the general formula

[tex]q=mc\Delta t[/tex]

where q is heat flow in joules (or kilojoules), m is mass in grams (or kilograms, if q was in kilojoules), c is the specific heat capacity in the appropriate units, and t the temperature in °C.

Thats what I've tried...but I can't seem to figure out what step I am going wrong in.

BJN153 said:
Thats what I've tried...but I can't seem to figure out what step I am going wrong in.

Show us your results.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Are are you sure you are using the correct value of the specific heat capacities of each liquid. And if so, are you making sure you are converting your 15kJ to the properly corresponding energy unit?

1. What factors affect the final temperature of a liquid?

The final temperature of a liquid can be affected by various factors such as the initial temperature of the liquid, the amount of heat added or removed, the specific heat capacity of the liquid, and the surrounding temperature.

2. How can the final temperature of a liquid be calculated?

The final temperature of a liquid can be calculated using the equation Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat added or removed, m is the mass of the liquid, c is the specific heat capacity of the liquid, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. Does the type of container affect the final temperature of a liquid?

Yes, the type of container can affect the final temperature of a liquid. Materials such as glass and metal have different thermal conductivities, which can affect the rate at which heat is transferred to or from the liquid.

4. Why does the final temperature of a liquid change when heat is added or removed?

When heat is added or removed from a liquid, it causes a change in the average kinetic energy of the molecules in the liquid. This leads to a change in the temperature of the liquid, resulting in a new final temperature.

5. How can the final temperature of two or more liquids mixed together be predicted?

The final temperature of two or more liquids mixed together can be predicted using the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This can be represented by the equation Q1 + Q2 = Q3, where Q1 and Q2 are the amounts of heat added or removed from the individual liquids, and Q3 is the total amount of heat in the final mixture.