Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the final velocity?

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a car is at a velocity of 20 km/h if the car traveled 120 km in 3 hours at constant accelration. what is the final velocity?

2. Relevant equations

V^2=Vo^2+2ad

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely confused. The book does not even list the particular formula above. And not much practice examples are given . I have an issue with understanding these variables. I dont see the correlation between the variables and the particular numbers. and its making a potentially easy problem non understandable.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Kinematics-velocity&acceleration

Welcome to PF albodibran!

In the equation you typed above, v is the current velocity (when the object is at distance d from its starting point), v0 is the initial velocity (when the object began accelerating). The variable 'a' is the acceleration (which is constant in this case) and d is the total displacement.

However, you don't need this equation. In fact, you don't even need the distance value you were given. Answer this question: what is the definition of acceleration?

Bearing in mind the definition above, if you have an acceleration value, and a time interval, what can those two things tell you about the velocity over that time interval?

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3

First, welcome to PF!

Let's see if we can help get you straightened out.

If we have constant acceleration,

[itex] V= V_0 + at (1)[/itex]

[itex]V[/itex] is the final velocity, [itex]V_0[/itex] is the initial velocity, [itex]a[/itex] is the acceleration, and [itex]t[/itex] is the time.

Also, we have the displacement,
    [itex] d = \frac{1}{2}(V + V_0) t (2)[/itex]

[itex]d[/itex] here, as said, is the distance traveled, also known as displacement.

If we rearrange (1) to solve for t, we get
    [itex] t = \frac{V-V_0}{a} (3)[/itex]

Now from here, just substitute (3) into (2) for t. You then have:
    [itex]d = \frac{1}{2}(V + V_0) (\frac{V-V_0}{a})[/itex]

When you work out your multiplication (I hope you're verifying what I'm doing here, it'll help) and rearrange things,

[itex]V^2 = V_0^2 + 2ad[/itex]

Does that help you to see where they are coming from? If not, let us know and we'll see what we can do for you.

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

I figured that out thank you I will post a issue I have with part of another problem

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook