Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the first positive , second positive , first negative systems of nitrogen

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    What is the "first positive", "second positive", "first negative" systems of nitrogen

Hello,
    I have been trying to catch up on spectroscopy theory, and I'm trying to get a grasp on what all the terms mean. I constantly seem the terms "first positive system", etc... coming up, and I'm not sure I understand what that means in terms of the transitions that are taking place, what state the molecule is in and so on. I've looked all over but it seems most articles that I find take it for granted that everyone knows what these things mean. Maybe I'm over thinking, or not thinking at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    - Y

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2
    Re: What is the "first positive", "second positive", "first negative"

Hi Yohan24,

I am literally searching for the same thing and I found the following paper talks a bit about the first positive and second positive(at p118)
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/Zarelab/publinks/13.pdf

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you find anything in more detail. Thanks!

Cheers,
    hggreen

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In G. Herzberg, Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure. I. Spectra of Diatomic Molecules (Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1950), footnote on page 51:

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Unfortunately, this was the OP's only post, and he/she hasn't come back since May 29, 2012.

Zz.

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I saw that, but I answered anyway as the information seemed of interest to hggreen.

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

Thank you DrClaude! That helps a lot.

-hggreen

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook