What is the flux through one face of the cube? Is my answer correct

• Thread starter pokie_panda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Flux
In summary, the question asks for the electric flux through one face of a cube with a point charge Q at the center and side length L. The attempt at a solution correctly states that the flux is Q/6e0 and the units are Nm^2/C. The discussion also notes that L should not be included in the formula and that C represents coulombs. It is also mentioned that Gauss' law was used in this calculation.
pokie_panda

Homework Statement

A point charge Q is placed at the center of a cube of side L .
What is the flux through one face of the cube?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables Q ,L and appropriate constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting Q/6e0 , is this correct. Are the units Nm^2/C

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you think there should be an "L" somewhere in the formula? And what is "C"?

pokie_panda said:

Homework Statement

A point charge Q is placed at the center of a cube of side L .
What is the flux through one face of the cube?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables Q ,L and appropriate constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting Q/6e0 , is this correct. Are the units Nm^2/C

Yes, this is correct. A simple application of Gauss' law. Your units are also correct, although it may be simpler to express it as Vm (volt*metre).

Since the units of electric field are N/C, your units of Nm^2/C for flux seem fine to me.

C = coulombs

Gauss' law says the net flux through the surface is Q/e0, and since this should be divided equally among the six faces, your answer seems plausible.

I imagine that any L-dependence should cancel out, since surface area increases as the square of L, but electric field strength decreases as the square of L

Edit: beaten by one minute!

HallsofIvy said:
Don't you think there should be an "L" somewhere in the formula? And what is "C"?

No, because they're asking for the electrical flux. The electric field calculation would involve L (and would not be trivial because the cube lacks spherical symmetry). C is coulomb.

cepheid said:
Edit: beaten by one minute!

Haha. :biggrin:

1. What does "flux" mean in this context?

Flux refers to the flow or transfer of a physical quantity, such as energy or particles, through a surface or area.

2. How is flux calculated for a cube?

The flux through one face of a cube can be calculated by taking the dot product of the surface area vector and the vector representing the quantity being transferred.

3. Why is it important to specify "one face" of the cube?

Specifying one face of the cube allows for a specific calculation of flux through a single surface, rather than the entire cube. This allows for a more precise analysis of the transfer of the physical quantity.

4. Can the flux through one face of the cube be negative?

Yes, the flux through one face of the cube can be negative. This indicates that the quantity is transferring in the opposite direction of the surface normal vector.

5. How can I check if my calculation of flux through one face of the cube is correct?

You can check your calculation by comparing it to the expected value or by using known equations and principles, such as Gauss's Law or the Divergence Theorem.