What is the force being applied to the box?

In summary, the conversation discusses a friction problem involving a box with a mass of 1.5kg and an acceleration of 1.5m/s². The coefficient of friction is 0.3 and the force being applied to the box is unknown. The conversation then goes on to use Newton's 2nd Law and the formula for friction force to determine the applied force. Eventually, it is determined that the applied force is equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration plus the friction force. The conversation ends with the questioner understanding and thanking for the help.
ms. confused
Hi! Is anyone willing to help me with this friction problem?

A box having a mass of 1.5kg is accelerated across a table at 1.5m/s². The coefficient of friction on the box is 0.3. What is the force being applied to the box? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

and remember

[tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

What do I do with the friction formula?

Do you know what's the Normal force?

Apparently Normal force is equal to Gravitational force so 1.5kg x 9.8m/s² is 14.7N. That should be the Normal force right?

Yes, so

Do because there's only acceleration on the x-axis do the forces analysis there.

[tex] F_{applied} - F_{f} = ma [/tex]

Do I move everything to one side of the equation to make it equal to zero?

ms. confused said:
Do I move everything to one side of the equation to make it equal to zero?

Why would you do that?

Isn't your unknown F applied?

[tex] F_{applied} = ma + F_{f} [/tex]

Mass is known, acceleration is known, [itex] \mu [/itex] is known, and the Normal force is known (so Friction force is known).

Ooooooh! Gotcha! Right! Thanks a million!

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the interaction between two objects. It can be defined as any push or pull that causes an object to move, change direction, or change shape.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass, while electromagnetic force is the force between electrically charged particles. Strong nuclear force holds the particles in an atom's nucleus together, and weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay.

4. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or shape. If the forces acting on an object are balanced, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line. However, if the forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How can force be calculated?

Force can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.